Medical scribe will it hurt me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cutie360

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Thanks for taking the time to help me out a lil backround on myself...

************ BACKGROUND INFO*******************
* Overall undergraduate GPA 3.1

*I haven't taken any science classes yet planning to start Jan 2010. SO I have yet to establish a science gpa!

Now did i mention that I have ZERO CLINICAL EXPERIENCE NADA NOTHING I've never volunteered in a clinical setting, I don't have any exposure to medicine at all other than my own personal experience from doctor visits.

Im starting my post bacc program in January so im currently unemployed I found A GREAT JOB. AN ER SCRIBE which means I'll get to follow doctors all day and record things such as patient history, lab exams, and basically take notes during the entire medical visit.I get Learn the responsibilities of being a physician, get exposure to all field of medicine. But there is a negative or at least thats what I'm being told. It's a one year 40 hour a week commitment which means there is no way I can take full time classes. I would probably end up taking one class two at most for the winter of 2010 semester which I dont mind doing. But having my 3.0 undergrad GPA means I need to ACE my sciences and have a very high Science gpa. My friends are telling me that even if I got two A's medical schools wont be impressed because I only took two classes and anyone can get two A's and regardless of how high my science gpa is it won't impress them because I didnt go "full time".

***************** QUESTION**************
Will taking only one class a semester or possibly two while working as an ER Scribe where I will get great medical experience for 40 hours a week(Working full time) hurt my credibility? I mean will getting A's still not look good enough considering I only took one or two? I think that taking two classes and getting A's Looks impressive when working 40 hours a week but I've been told that it doesn't matter how much I work part time student is a part time student. And that even if I managed getting a 4.0 science gpa by taking one or two classes a semester while working wont really do me any good is this true? Does the pace of classes matter that much to medical schools? Even when working full time? PLS HELPE ME OUT I NEED SOME SOLID INSIGHT/ADVICE. If it's going to hurt me to do the scribe program then I will just do the post bacc then volunteer after Im done because I got really lucky with this job it's very hard to get!

Members don't see this ad.

How long have you been removed from undergraduate? IF it has been a couple of years, easing back into it is respectable. Just realize you can't take 2 classes a semester forever. Can weekends count towards the 40 hours? If so, maybe having Tuesday and Thursday off would allow for 2-3 classes on those days plus nights.

OP, as calimed suggested, please do not cross post the same thread in different forums. I am going to close this one; anyone who is interested in replying is welcome to do so at the link that calimed provided.

Status
Not open for further replies.