Medical Shool Transfers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cabbagesnk

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone had an experience in transferring from one medical school to another? Please, share your experiences. What risks are involved? Difficulties?
How did you make up for the curriculum differences? Any additional advice?
In particular did anyone transfer from Nova-COM to University of Arkansas. (I know very little chance but, hey, you never know.)

Members don't see this ad.

I am in the middle of transferring right now. It's been very easy for me. Both sides have been very accomodating. My reason is to be w my fiance. I am a first year transferring into second year. Luckily the curriculum is almost the same except that Im gonna have to make up some class like Behavorial science.

later

Omar

Regarding the issue of transferring, I successfully transferred from Boston University to Washington University. Transferred between MSII and MSIII years and did not have to make up any classwork.

Further details can be found in this post:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=117658

feel free to PM me if you have questions.

Ben

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it is almost impossible to transfer from a DO school to an MD school which is what u are trying to do. The curriculums are different and so I would say your chances are almost 0%.

i know someone who is in a process of transferring from a DO school to a top 20. the DO thing has really not been an issue for that school. the curr difference would be for those wanting to go MD-->DO b/c we have additional class time in OMT. otherwise, i can't think of som that is "soo different in our curriculums".

its not totally impossible to go from do to md. a guy a year ahead of me at my school transferred in from a do school between his ms1 and ms2 years. he had to make up one class (as far as i know) and they worked w/him to get him out of other classes for that 2-3 hours/wk. other than that i dont know any more detail, but it is possible. good luck.

Hmmm... I wonder about ppl transferring from schools that are outside of the US (e.g., St. George's). My friend didn't feel like waiting another year to apply and decided to go there for school. She is planning on transferring back into the US during her third year, but I thought that it would be near impossible to accomplish that. Anyone know of people who have done this?

Heal&Teach said:
Hmmm... I wonder about ppl transferring from schools that are outside of the US (e.g., St. George's). My friend didn't feel like waiting another year to apply and decided to go there for school. She is planning on transferring back into the US during her third year, but I thought that it would be near impossible to accomplish that. Anyone know of people who have done this?

I do know a few people who transferred from St. Georges to US MD programs. First of all there has to be a spot, most of these cats had 250+ boards with one guy up in the 260 zone (scored the same on step2 and is now surprise surprise an ortho resident).

The schools they were able to transfer were:
Drexel
Albany Med
University of Vermont
GW
there was one more I think it was either NYU or Sinai (dont remember exactly, just that it was a big name school in the NE)

Hope this helps

Wow. I am very surprised to hear about so many people transferring. Life comes up and things happen - it's good to hear that some schools are understanding. A friend in my class is transferring (MD--> MD after 2nd year) and there was one guy from last year (MD --> Canadian MD after 2nd year). Live & learn. :)

AMMD said:
I do know a few people who transferred from St. Georges to US MD programs. First of all there has to be a spot, most of these cats had 250+ boards with one guy up in the 260 zone (scored the same on step2 and is now surprise surprise an ortho resident).

The schools they were able to transfer were:
Drexel
Albany Med
University of Vermont
GW
there was one more I think it was either NYU or Sinai (dont remember exactly, just that it was a big name school in the NE)

Hope this helps

Thanks AMMD, that was helpful. She was actually looking to transfer into NYU. Hopefully she'll be able to do it.

Best of luck to her... Its doable provided they have a spot. However, i would really look into Drexel, GW and Albany; they seem to be a lot more accommodating to transferees

Does anyone know how the accepting schools deal with temporal differences in cirriculum. For example, if the FROM school cirriculum covers system A in the first year and system B in the second while the TO school covers covers B in the first year and A in the second? (Given that thransfer application is submitted for the second year)

ATC2MD said:
Wow. I am very surprised to hear about so many people transferring. Life comes up and things happen - it's good to hear that some schools are understanding. A friend in my class is transferring (MD--> MD after 2nd year) and there was one guy from last year (MD --> Canadian MD after 2nd year). Live & learn. :)

He wouldnt be going to CWRU now would he?