Medical Spanish

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vtucci

Attending in Emergency Medicine
Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all.

Can anyone recommend a good medical spanish textbook (with or without CDs/DVDs) for students that have some experience with spanish but who are not fluent?

I have used the Barron's pocketbook and thought it was okay. I am looking for something more substantive.

Members don't see this ad.

I have Medical Spanish: A Conversational Approach by Kearon. I really REALLY like the CD - it's great to put on in my car and listen to for vocab. The book is ok, kind of small. I remember thinking it was kind of a lot to pay for what I got, but I was overall pretty happy with the purchase.

There's a medical Spanish podcast that I really like:

http://www.medicalspanishpodcast.com/

It's mostly clinical scenarios with the relevant vocab, which is a nice way to learn things grouped logically together, e.g. abdominal pain, gyn exam, etc. I put episodes on my ipod and listen to it in the car when I drive to and from the hospital. (Not every day, I'm not quite that dedicated, but on and off).

Members don't see this ad :)
There's a medical Spanish podcast that I really like:

http://www.medicalspanishpodcast.com/

It's mostly clinical scenarios with the relevant vocab, which is a nice way to learn things grouped logically together, e.g. abdominal pain, gyn exam, etc. I put episodes on my ipod and listen to it in the car when I drive to and from the hospital. (Not every day, I'm not quite that dedicated, but on and off).

Second this podcast--I found it really useful.

I work as a medical interpreter so I have a little bit of experience with medical dictionaries.:laugh: For something to keep at your desk go with Stedman Bilingue Diccionario de Ciencias Medicas (ISBN: 84-7903-335-5 or 950-06-2006-5). It has EVERYTHING in it. For something smaller and more useful in day to day type of stuff there are a ton of options. PM me if you have any questions.