Medical Specialties Choice (Peds, Psych, and Neuro)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

socalblues

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm looking at several specialties that may be a strong fit for me. My interests are treating children with neurodevelopmental disorders and do autism, ADHD, and learning disabilities research. I've been pretty set on Pediatric Neurology. But, I'm aware that there are several pathways to do what I want to do and people have mentioned DBP and Behavioral Neuro fellowships.

What residencies can I do before a DBP fellowship? Can I do a DBP fellowship after Peds Neuro? Is Psych -> Child & Adolescent Psych a better path for DBP?

There is also the Behavioral Neuro fellowship, but is a Peds Neuro residency okay for that? It seems like Behavioral Neurology fellowships include Adult Neurology too, which I am not too sure about.

Members don't see this ad.

Are you considering a heavily academic career? If so, neurodevelopmental disabilities is itself a residency and is likely best bet (peds->DBP works too). If you just want to treat children with these conditions then (in order of relevance) NDD, DBP, child psych, child neuro, behavioral neuro, even General psych or general peds will work as there is no “requirement” for a fellowship to work with this population. None of these are very competitive. For 100% clinical I would say child psych is best/easiest.

Are you considering a heavily academic career? If so, neurodevelopmental disabilities is itself a residency and is likely best bet (peds->DBP works too). If you just want to treat children with these conditions then (in order of relevance) NDD, DBP, child psych, child neuro, behavioral neuro, even General psych or general peds will work as there is no “requirement” for a fellowship to work with this population. None of these are very competitive. For 100% clinical I would say child psych is best/easiest.

I'm looking to work in an academic center, yes, but really hoping I'd find a good balance. Did you want to tell me more about NDD? I really want to find a cross between psychiatry, neurology, and child development.

Members don't see this ad :)

NDD and DBP fit the bill for heavily academic. This is also certainly attainable through child psych or neuro, it would be a matter of what other aspects of the specialty you enjoy (ie mood disorders vs epilepsy and so on).

From the list of things you mentioned you like I honestly think Peds --> DBP is your best bet and the path of learning the least unnecessary things to do work with the patient populations you are interested in.