Medical Specialties that requiring lots of patient interaction?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JohnnyQ

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was shadowing an Oncologist the other day and was surprised by the patient interaction. The physician spent lots of time time analyzing slides, treatment options, and conducting tests,but there wasn't really too much talking between the patient and the doctor at all.

What specialties involve more time communicating with patients?

How is patient interaction among the different surgical specialties?

Members don't see this ad.

I was shadowing an Oncologist the other day and was surprised by the patient interaction. The physician spent lots of time time analyzing slides, treatment options, and conducting tests,but there wasn't really too much talking between the patient and the doctor at all.

lol this is a joke, right?

Basically you meet with a patient to explain the procedure (sometimes this is even done by a fellow/resident), then an anesthesiologist/nurse anesthetist puts the patient to sleep and you do the procedure. You follow up with them during rounds for maybe 3-5 mins per patient to discuss the important labs/numbers until they DC'ed. Then you may follow up with the patient during your clinic hours at set times depending on what kind of procedure it was. Basically theres not too much patient interaction while the patient is actually awake haha

Members don't see this ad :)
Sweet I want a specialty with mininum patient interaction.

When I shadowed an ER doc, maybe 40% of her time was spent talking with or treating patients, 50% paperwork, 10% bs'ing with nurses on duty. I'd guess FP has the most patient interaction.

Basically you meet with a patient to explain the procedure (sometimes this is even done by a fellow/resident), then an anesthesiologist/nurse anesthetist puts the patient to sleep and you do the procedure. You follow up with them during rounds for maybe 3-5 mins per patient to discuss the important labs/numbers until they DC'ed. Then you may follow up with the patient during your clinic hours at set times depending on what kind of procedure it was. Basically theres not too much patient interaction while the patient is actually awake haha

The general surgeon that I shadowed had really quite a bit of patient interaction in comparison with other specialties. This was split between those referred to him for procedures and those follow-ups (which might take multiple visits for extended wound healing). Two reasons I think he might have had more patient contact than what I've heard is the norm for surgeons: it was in a rural area and this guy routinely worked 90 hrs/wk without thinking anything of it.

Edit: Mmmm, better make that 90 to 100 hrs.

I think I might do oncology, they should change, THE WAR ON TERROR to THE WAR ON CANCER

I think I might do oncology, they should change, THE WAR ON TERROR to THE WAR ON CANCER

O rly? You want insane amounts of funding without anyone knowing what it's for too?!?!?

Sign me up!