Medical student disaster!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Future_Doctor

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Listen all to this..
one of the medical student went to government hospital here( i wont mention this hospital or even the city ok.) for summer training..she met the woman who's responsible about training of the students at that hospital..that woman told her u are late(studying medicine dosent know late or early..) either u wait 2 weeks without training at ur home or come to us next summer..ooh my god..i dont know if we'll be alife until next summer!!!..
ok let me continue i want to say where're the humen rights..how can they prevent the students by this way..she said no place for u in all departments but the head of A/E he said it's ok to join us.. just bring paper to let u start ur training..i feel that woman feels she's low or something like this..if i'm in my friend place i'll feel bad..cuz it's one of my rights to provide facility for me..how i'll be good doctor with out practice..if they cant give me faciltiy for training today..how they'll provide career for me 2morrow..right!!!.
Give me ur opinions !

Members don't see this ad.

Future_Doctor said:
Listen all to this..
one of the medical student went to government hospital here( i wont mention this hospital or even the city ok.) for summer training..she met the woman who's responsible about training of the students at that hospital..that woman told her u are late(studying medicine dosent know late or early..) either u wait 2 weeks without training at ur home or come to us next summer..ooh my god..i dont know if we'll be alife until next summer!!!..
ok let me continue i want to say where're the humen rights..how can they prevent the students by this way..she said no place for u in all departments but the head of A/E he said it's ok to join us.. just bring paper to let u start ur training..i feel that woman feels she's low or something like this..if i'm in my friend place i'll feel bad..cuz it's one of my rights to provide facility for me..how i'll be good doctor with out practice..if they cant give me faciltiy for training today..how they'll provide career for me 2morrow..right!!!.
Give me ur opinions !

What in God's Holy name are you blathering about?

English, please (its not your first language, I suspect). Get a translator, because we can't understand your question enough to help you.

Members don't see this ad :)
did you talk to the lady this way? go back next summer.

*nods with a confused stare*

ok i'll try to get translator..by 2morrow it'll be ready.. & u r right it's not my first lang :oops: .

To the "IMG" board with you!
Did you pass TOEFL yet?
:eek:

Future_Doctor said:
Listen all to this..
Give me ur opinions !

that doesn't seem very fair that someone being late started all of this!

i swear we were polite with that woman..but she refused our request!
she was so rude with us..she didnt listen.. we told her for some reasons we couldn't come at the beging of the month..
i felt that she doesnt like medical students (especialy the non local students).
emmm... i agree with u that my english is bad... i tried hard to explain the problem in way u can understand.. :oops:

hey...i kinda think i know what happened in your situation. basically the only advice i have is to ask the hospital if anyone else is in charge of the program. maybe you can side-step this lady and go to someone else who is a bit more lenient especially since your circumstances aren't shady at all. If there isn't anyone...make sure you're level headed and don't get all worked up about talking to this woman again. Ask her politely if there is any way you can start the program at all and tell her your circumstances. I took a conflict-resolution class and the worst thing to do is accost the woman because she'll feel even more hostile towards you and the answer will definitely be no. If there is absolutely no way...then the only thing you can do is to wait till next summer. hope this advice helps.

Future_Doctor said:
i swear we were polite with that woman..but she refused our request!
she was so rude with us..she didnt listen.. we told her for some reasons we couldn't come at the beging of the month..
i felt that she doesnt like medical students (especialy the non local students).
emmm... i agree with u that my english is bad... i tried hard to explain the problem in way u can understand.. :oops:

um, can you calm down and explain to us what you are talking about?

Members don't see this ad :)
Pixye1 said:
hey...i kinda think i know what happened in your situation. basically the only advice i have is to ask the hospital if anyone else is in charge of the program. maybe you can side-step this lady and go to someone else who is a bit more lenient especially since your circumstances aren't shady at all. If there isn't anyone...make sure you're level headed and don't get all worked up about talking to this woman again. Ask her politely if there is any way you can start the program at all and tell her your circumstances. I took a conflict-resolution class and the worst thing to do is accost the woman because she'll feel even more hostile towards you and the answer will definitely be no. If there is absolutely no way...then the only thing you can do is to wait till next summer. hope this advice helps.

Future Doctor, are you saying that because you and other students were late-that you all will be denied opporunity to train at the hospital?

Future Doctor, I think Pixye1 gave the best advice you can get right here, as far as we can help you. I'm sorry that you feel discriminated against.

BTW-don't feel bad about your English-its hard learning another language-but keep trying. Where are you from?

Future_Doctor said:
Listen all to this..
Give me ur opinions !

Also, try talking to the head of the A/E about a possible solution for your problem.

at least one of u understood what i'm talking about>>>>
Pixye1 ..it's my mistake because i dont know english well..anyway i'm trying hard to improve it..
yes because we are late we wont have chance to train in that hospital...
i talked to the head of A/E.. he doesnt have any problem with that..he told us u can join the department at any time..but get paper from that woman..i mean that the prblem is with that woman she doesnt agree to give us paper for the head of A/E..( without the paper the head can do nothing)..

"Studying medicine doesn't know late or early."

I think I like that.

Future_Doctor said:
at least one of u understood what i'm talking about>>>>
Pixye1 ..it's my mistake because i dont know english well..anyway i'm trying hard to improve it..
yes because we are late we wont have chance to train in that hospital...
i talked to the head of A/E.. he doesnt have any problem with that..he told us u can join the department at any time..but get paper from that woman..i mean that the prblem is with that woman she doesnt agree to give us paper for the head of A/E..( without the paper the head can do nothing)..

ask ur Head to ask that lady to give u the form :mad:
last resort, one of you distract her, and you go steal it.

Where are u from?

Hang on, I speak IMGese:

Futuredoctor, it is true that u r able not to be late at program directors insistence. My opinion that even ferin student should and can b punctual. If u cum frm country which does not have this concept so important, then u should lern quickly that "0930 on 25 Aug, 2004" does not mean "1230 on 27 Aug 2004." Also, along with Spanish, English somewhat important to know in form of both talking, reading, and writing. Also, studying medicine does indeed know late and early as u will find when completing ERAS application. Deadlines exist an u r required to somehow deal with it.

relax panda bear. sounds like you are having a midol moment. grab some massengil, clean out your mouth and get back down on your knees. :smuggrin: the OP may not write like fitzgerald, but deserves a helpful response anyway.

OP, screw the lady that is being such an obstructionist, tell her the "head" guy is cool with your starting now and move on with your life. be aggressive, without being a jerk, and things will be fine. :idea:

well..panda bear english is not my first lang..i'm trying my best to imrpove it :( second thing is we're fourth year medical student we went for that hospital for summer training...we explained for her our reasons( why being late this time) but she didnt listen to us..
if u know any good psychatric doctors just tell me..i think she needs some advice( in how to treat people) ..she has some problem from future doctors.. :D
thank u GrandMasterB for understanding me..

chameleonknight <<< if u want any medical maxim just call me at 911 lool
ericdamiansean <<< i'll tell u where i'm from in private msg ;)

Future_Doctor said:
well..panda bear english is not my first lang..i'm trying my best to imrpove it :( second thing is we're fourth year medical student we went for that hospital for summer training...we explained for her our reasons( why being late this time) but she didnt listen to us..
if u know any good psychatric doctors just tell me..i think she needs some advice( in how to treat people) ..she has some problem from future doctors.. :D
thank u GrandMasterB for understanding me..

chameleonknight <<< if u want any medical maxim just call me at 911 lool
ericdamiansean <<< i'll tell u where i'm from in private msg ;)

One thing imopotant in hour country is learn to chill out and take not 1self so seriously. If u kant take a little ribbing then u will be xtremly misrable in hour cuntry and will probably not fit in with your piers.

Also, there is seldom good excuse to be late. Excuses are like rectums. Most have them and they stink. Also, if u r to be late to report, a phone call in advance is considered by many Americans to be good manners. This is not complicated.

GrandMasterB said:
relax panda bear. sounds like you are having a midol moment. grab some massengil, clean out your mouth and get back down on your knees. :smuggrin: the OP may not write like fitzgerald, but deserves a helpful response anyway.

OP, screw the lady that is being such an obstructionist, tell her the "head" guy is cool with your starting now and move on with your life. be aggressive, without being a jerk, and things will be fine. :idea:

Har har. Listen, what struck me as odd was the assertion that "Medicine doesn't know early or late." Maybe in his country but doesn't that strike you as the crux of Futuredocs problem?

I mean if he is not a troll. Please, even IMGs who don't speak english well or (in some cases) at all can usually write it fairly well. There are some Chinese residents who I can absolutley not understand. I'm sure they are veritable Daniel Websters in Mandarin but I'm just a yokel from Northern Louisiana.

C'mon, Panda Bear, all your points are quite legitimate, but please cut the fake IMGese for good; it's uncalled for and obnoxious, particularly given the paucity of Americans literate in multiple languages.

As you implied, the "medicine doesn't know early or late" bit is awfully true in some countries (I know for a fact that in my husband's country, the only things medicine knows are nepotism and bribery; anything else such as timeliness only if related to the previous two). So, Future_Doctor, this may be yet another cultural adjustment to make (sooner rather than later). Good luck.

well panada bear i understood that u dont want me to use ur lang( english),,because i'm doing horrible mistakes...say what u want! i'll try my best to be good doctor with excellent knowledge in english even without ur encouragment :) thank u brother..
one thing more bear i'm girl :p .
daria
thank u sister :)

Future Doctor...so let me see if I understand your situation correctly...
You are here as a fourth year international student for a clerkship at an American hospital. You arrived here a few days late and now you are not allowed to start your rotation. The chairman of the department thinks that they can make an exception and allow you to start, but this lady (I don't understand what her position is) is not allowing you to do so. You've already traveled all the way to the US and can't afford to wait 2 weeks to start your rotation and can't afford to go back home and come back next year since you've already traveled this far. And if you choose to wait for 2weeks, the school will not be providing accomodations?

well i'll post the story again..( in proper english this time)..sorry for the horrible mistakes that i did :oops: ..
One of the medical students currently enrolled at the university wished to be trained, over the summer, in her field of study.
She visited a local public hospital and met a human resources employee whose role was allocating students in various available positions in the hospital.The woman simply told the student that she was late, which was quite ironic, since medicine knows no time boundaries.The woman instructed the student to either wait for two weeks, without training, or visit the hospital next year; a year is too long of a period to spend waiting for a chance to recieve proper medical training.
The student protested, declaring this a violation of her God given human rights.It is quite frustrating that students are prevented from seeking jobs in this manner and are told that they have no places in any of the hospital's departments;the head of A/E literally said it was allright for us work at the hospital.
The human resources director instructed the young lady to obtain her paperwork and that her training would be started as soon as possible.
The poor student felt that she was worthless in a certain way
and if I was in her place I would have felt miserable too.
This is due to the fact that is it my right to be provided with adequate and satisfactory training
Otherwise, how will I be a qualified doctor?
If they cannot train me today, how will they allow me to practice medicine in the future?.
Please share your opinions with me. :)

I am confused...was it a local hospital or an American hospital? And did your friend call before arriving late? If not, I'm not terribly surpirsed that she was not allowed to start. And I'm not sure if medical training is a God-given right...Where do you go to school??

How is training a right? :confused:

Future_Doctor said:
well i'll post the story again..( in proper english this time)..sorry for the horrible mistakes that i did :oops: ..
One of the medical students currently enrolled at the university wished to be trained, over the summer, in her field of study.
She visited a local public hospital and met a human resources employee whose role was allocating students in various available positions in the hospital.The woman simply told the student that she was late, which was quite ironic, since medicine knows no time boundaries.The woman instructed the student to either wait for two weeks, without training, or visit the hospital next year; a year is too long of a period to spend waiting for a chance to recieve proper medical training.
The student protested, declaring this a violation of her God given human rights.It is quite frustrating that students are prevented from seeking jobs in this manner and are told that they have no places in any of the hospital's departments;the head of A/E literally said it was allright for us work at the hospital.
The human resources director instructed the young lady to obtain her paperwork and that her training would be started as soon as possible.
The poor student felt that she was worthless in a certain way
and if I was in her place I would have felt miserable too.
This is due to the fact that is it my right to be provided with adequate and satisfactory training
Otherwise, how will I be a qualified doctor?
If they cannot train me today, how will they allow me to practice medicine in the future?.
Please share your opinions with me. :)

Future Doctor, "When in ROME, do as the Romans do". This is a saying that means "when you visit another country, follow their rules and customs."

Realize that in America, it is very important to be on time. Here, the practice of medicine really does know time boundaries-people are counting on you to be dependable-to show up on time.
Even if you think it is your "right" to be trained at this hospital, realize that they can turn you down easily.

I suggest apologizing for being late, and if the director really said you could still train-explain your dilemma to him and ask him to help you.
But don't demand it-because it is not your "right", it is an agreement between you, your school, and the hospital.
Good luck.

Future_Doctor said:
well panada bear i understood that u dont want me to use ur lang( english),,because i'm doing horrible mistakes...say what u want! i'll try my best to be good doctor with excellent knowledge in english even without ur encouragment :) thank u brother..
daria

Listen, we have a couple people in my class who during third year for no fault of their own missed a week or so of a block. They were still required to make up the whole block at a later date because a requirement of passing the block was to have no more than two absences. See my point? It sounds unfair but requirements are requirements and administrators are often unwilling, or unable, to bend the rules.

As for "medicine knowing no time boundaries," I have no earthly idea what you are talking about. While it is true that people get sick at all hours of the day and night, most medical school curriculums (curricula?) are run on a very exact schedule. You have certain classes at specified times and you start and end rotations on certain days. Period.

Even now in fourth year, many blocks start out with a few days of classes and conferences which I assume are an important part of the course requirements.

Not to mention that punctuality is a virtue. I move heaven and earth (so to speak) to make sure that I am on time for clinics, lectures, and other scheduled events.

Another hint. The United States, although a nation of religious people, is a secular society. I imagine that a student lecturing a hospital administrator about "God given rights" did not exactly make a good impression. Not only is medical education not a right, God given or otherwise, but your friend might have come across as a pushy foreigner with the incredibly bad manners of an ungrateful guest. We like you. We want you here. But maybe you should wait a few years before asserting your imaginary rights.

Future_Doctor said:
daria

Well fer cryin out loud...you might start by not writing like you learned english from the liner notes of an album by "The Artist Formerly Known as Prince."

I took French in high school. I didn't abbreviate "j'ai" as "J" or "Est que" as "s q."

Also, develop a sense of humor. We are a funny and satirical people. Our class system is not very rigid and we generally treat everybody, from the janitor to the chancellor as our equals.

Panda Bear said:
Our class system is not very rigid and we generally treat everybody, from the janitor to the chancellor as our equals.

Serious? :laugh: :laugh: :thumbup:

But i'm not living in USA...the hospital is'n an amrican hospital???
For some reasons i didnt mention the country or haspitals' name.. :)

Then, why are you asking us? Honestly, we can't help you because you don't explain your situation clearly. :rolleyes:

Panda Bear is right, you know. It is not your "right" to practice medicine (maybe it is in 'your' country-since we still don't know where your from). Medical education is a priviledge that you earn, and that can be taken away from you, by making big mistakes, such as not showing up for rotations on time, or making big mistakes with patients... Maybe if your friend got rid of that attitude and realized how lucky she was to be in medicine (rather than how it is 'owed' to her), people would be more willing to help her.
Good luck with all your problems.

Hee Hee. Either that or she has problems we don't know about!

maybe Panda Bear is Future_doctor. hehe

Well.. i think that i asked for an opinions, not help..if u can help it'll be kind of u Panada Bear..
emm less drugs or more drugs..if the drug is 100% curable with no serious sied efffects..plz go ahead & prescribe it for me :) ( Mr.Trisomy13) :cool:

Trisomy13 said:
you need one of two things

1) less drugs; or
2) more drugs

further evaluation is warranted at this time.
Or possibly both:

Less crack, and more Zoloft.

why does "future doctor" think it is acceptable to show up several DAYS late and then get special consideration? next time you might think to call ahead. it's only common courtesy!

jules says....

Attachments

• jules1.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 210
randomlogik said:
maybe Panda Bear is Future_doctor. hehe
Brilliant, I love it! :laugh:

I'm sorry, but I have been reading thiis and laughing outloud! :laugh:

Not only is the OP funny - when I admit, he might not intend to be - but the responses are hilarious. Panda Bear, you rock! Good IMGese.

Hey, I have lived surrounded by IMG people and by golly, they busted their behinds to 1) learn decent English, and 2) do whatever it takes to pass their boards and get into a residency. Being an IMG in the states is no picnic, and to be honest I am not sure myself what this guy is talking about.

:sleep:

Are you even sure it's a he?

It won't tell me where it is from, what country, what school etc..

Might be from the School of Hard Knocks (Troll branch)

I'm an IMG too, but I think my English is pretty decent :laugh:

Yibbidy Dibbidy Doo Doo Yonk Yonk!?!?!?! :laugh: