Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Medical Student - How to do Residency in US?

Discussion in 'General International Discussion' started by anna123, Jul 17, 2000.

1. anna123

anna123 New Member

I am thinking of giving GRE, apply for Research and come to US and then give USMLE. Is this possible? Is there any other way?
    Please suggest.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Dewling

Dewling New Member

hi anna,
    who told you you need to do the GRE?
    as far as i know you need to take all steps of usmle,get certified,and apply for residency...possible even thru` ERAS if you r not in the States.
    is the GRE neccessary?

4. anna123

anna123 New Member

No to do USMLE you do not need GRE, but what I am thinking is I get into non-medical field ie Reasearch field, by writing GRE ( Otherwise you dont get Visa, if you want to come direclty to do Residency) come to US and while doing my Research I am thinking of taking USMLE? Is this allowed? Please give me some direction? I have no clue as to how to go about it?

5. val999

val999 Junior Member

Most people just get their ECFMG cetificate and apply for residencies. The GRE / research is nice but takes time and effort and how will it help you get a residency? No matter what visa you get for your research it doesn't transfer over to residency. You'll need J-1 or H1-B and the fact that you are or not doing research will not help or hurt you in any when when applying for these visas. If you're from india a big percentage of your med school class are probably on their way here, I don't think too many of them are taking the GRE as some sort of prerequisite for residency search