Medical Student - How to do Residency in US?


New Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2000
    No to do USMLE you do not need GRE, but what I am thinking is I get into non-medical field ie Reasearch field, by writing GRE ( Otherwise you dont get Visa, if you want to come direclty to do Residency) come to US and while doing my Research I am thinking of taking USMLE? Is this allowed? Please give me some direction? I have no clue as to how to go about it?


    Junior Member
    15+ Year Member
    Sep 2, 1999
    Detroit, MI, USA
      Most people just get their ECFMG cetificate and apply for residencies. The GRE / research is nice but takes time and effort and how will it help you get a residency? No matter what visa you get for your research it doesn't transfer over to residency. You'll need J-1 or H1-B and the fact that you are or not doing research will not help or hurt you in any when when applying for these visas. If you're from india a big percentage of your med school class are probably on their way here, I don't think too many of them are taking the GRE as some sort of prerequisite for residency search
      About the Ads
      This thread is more than 21 years old.

      Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

      1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
      2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
      5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
      6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      7. This thread is locked.