1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Medical Student - How to do Residency in US?

Discussion in 'General International Discussion' started by anna123, Jul 17, 2000.

1. anna123

anna123 New Member

I am thinking of giving GRE, apply for Research and come to US and then give USMLE. Is this possible? Is there any other way?
    Please suggest.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Dewling

Dewling New Member

hi anna,
    who told you you need to do the GRE?
    as far as i know you need to take all steps of usmle,get certified,and apply for residency...possible even thru` ERAS if you r not in the States.
    is the GRE neccessary?

4. anna123

anna123 New Member

No to do USMLE you do not need GRE, but what I am thinking is I get into non-medical field ie Reasearch field, by writing GRE ( Otherwise you dont get Visa, if you want to come direclty to do Residency) come to US and while doing my Research I am thinking of taking USMLE? Is this allowed? Please give me some direction? I have no clue as to how to go about it?

5. val999

val999 Junior Member

Most people just get their ECFMG cetificate and apply for residencies. The GRE / research is nice but takes time and effort and how will it help you get a residency? No matter what visa you get for your research it doesn't transfer over to residency. You'll need J-1 or H1-B and the fact that you are or not doing research will not help or hurt you in any when when applying for these visas. If you're from india a big percentage of your med school class are probably on their way here, I don't think too many of them are taking the GRE as some sort of prerequisite for residency search