Medical student looking for residency in Ireland/Scotland

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shaco007

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

Im finishing up my medical studies in Romania and will receive my medical degree this September, with Canadian citizenship. Upon beginning to do some research into Ireland, i found out that the deadline for handing in applications for internship/residency is June-July (correct me if im wrong please) which would mean i would have to wait 9 months to begin my residency, which I dont want.

I'm in a situation where I can go to anyone of the 4 places without any special exams, just knowing the language but I can't find when the program starts/when the program closes registration (except for June/July for Ireland). My questions are:

1) Is there a later start date for the internship training in Ireland/Scotland? Or will i make it if i send my papers after mid-September?

2) If the answer to #1 is no, for Sweden/Germany is there a negotiable start date which fits right after September?

3) For anyone here reading this who is doing their internship/training in Ireland/Scotland - do you have any information for how many 'non-EU students graduating from an EU-accredited school' made it and what my chances are?

The help is so greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

For Scotland you do the foundation programme which has the same steps as for the rest of the UK. Where you apply starting from July to gain entry in august the following year.

If you have done an internship in Romania you might be eligible to receive a full registration in the UK the same applies in Ireland.

In regards to Germa y and Sweden you need to know the la giages and pass a languages test set at a specific grade.