Medical Student Malpractice Insurance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FrEq

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know where to get malpractice insurance for the rotations in the United States?

Members don't see this ad.

You should be covered under your Medical Schools indemnity cover. What country are you in?

Hey Trinners,
I had a question regarding the price of books and other medical equipment.Are the prices comparable to what we would expect to pay in the states?
cheers,

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure... I was looking at medical textbooks the other day in Hodges Figgis (a fairly decent book shop in Dublin).
Moore's Clinically Oriented Anatomy was EUR 56.35 and Netter's Atlas of Anatomy was EUR 59.30.

Compare these prices with prices in the US...

As for medical equipment I've no idea...I'd wait until you're over here and you have a better idea of what you need.

I searched high and low for some company to cover me with malpractice insurance for a rotation in the US. Found none. You might find if look hard enough, I know students from my school arranged malpractice on arriving to the US doing a rotation in cleveland clinic. But that approach is too risky for my tastes. I recommend you do your elective at a place that provides malpractice to visiting students. There are many quality med schools that do so, like:

baylor
northwestern
mayo
u conn
yale (you gotta pay 2000 bucks, though)
and others...

Best of luck...

:)
Harvard does too...cost $2400.

If you go Havard/Yale, check to see if that insurance will cover a year, and not just the rotation. If it does, it just may be worth the cost.

A side note, Northwestern will only take foreign students that are not US citizens.:mad:

Annette: that is definitely only for the length of the rotation...bummer, but well worth it for LORs and contacts.