soccerusa

7+ Year Member
Aug 10, 2011
City of Angels
Status
Medical Student
Hello all,

I am a medical student at a research heavy school, and I am starting to look into research in the field. From my investigation it seems like there are a range of options including straight clinical research, medical physics and device stuff, basic cancer biology and more translations stuff. Are there any types that are most helpful when applying to residency? Any that are most suited for medical students? I have a strong background in basic science research in physics. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you for your time!

Krukenberg

2+ Year Member
Jun 18, 2015
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Hello all,

I am a medical student at a research heavy school, and I am starting to look into research in the field. From my investigation it seems like there are a range of options including straight clinical research, medical physics and device stuff, basic cancer biology and more translations stuff. Are there any types that are most helpful when applying to residency? Any that are most suited for medical students? I have a strong background in basic science research in physics. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you for your time!
I don't mean to be pithy but the FAQ addresses your question. It's easiest to get publications in clinical and pubs should be your goal.

Krukenberg

2+ Year Member
Jun 18, 2015
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I don't think the above is necessarily true, though it is what I did starting out. Do what you're interested in.
Bench research is hard. It takes time to become proficient with the techniques and to some extent you have to get lucky with an experiment if you only have a summer or the time between rotations. I believe clinical research has a higher probability of ending up as a publication.