Medical Student Rotation & Away Elective Feedback

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Member 3331313

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
As the feedback database is no longer running, I thought it might be nice to start a similar thread for anyone interested in getting feedback and/or advice regarding specific programs. No doubt a bit of advice from those who have spent time a particular program could go a long way in helping others make the best of their away rotations.

So to start things off.. has anyone spent time in any of the NYC programs?

As far as aways go, LORs are often a big topic. Did anyone rotating at programs like NYU or Mt Sinai have trouble with this? It seems like when there are multiple clinical sites to rotate through, it could be hard to get to know the faculty. Any thoughts or advise?

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

I am also interested in this type of topic.

Has anyone completed an away rotation at any of these places?

- Medical College of Georgia
- University of Cincinnati
- University of Kentucky
- Medical University of South Carolina

I am trying to decide which ones to apply to and these are ones on my list that I haven't heard much about. What is the student experience like on these rotations? With residents mostly or with attendings? Are they good at teaching or do they see students as more in the way? I'm not worried about getting a letter from an away rotation, I think I have the required letters already, but I would like a good experience for learning and to get a feel for what ophthalmology is all about.

As the feedback database is no longer running, I thought it might be nice to start a similar thread for anyone interested in getting feedback and/or advice regarding specific programs. No doubt a bit of advice from those who have spent time a particular program could go a long way in helping others make the best of their away rotations.

So to start things off.. has anyone spent time in any of the NYC programs?

As far as aways go, LORs are often a big topic. Did anyone rotating at programs like NYU or Mt Sinai have trouble with this? It seems like when there are multiple clinical sites to rotate through, it could be hard to get to know the faculty. Any thoughts or advise?

Thanks!!

I am also interested in hearing feedback about NY area programs. Does anyone have feedback rotating at Northshore-LIJ? What about Weill Cornell Medical College?

Members don't see this ad :)
I wish these threads which would be useful to our education were as frequently replied to as when Shnurek posts something about how optometrists should do surgery....

- University of Kentucky

I am trying to decide which ones to apply to and these are ones on my list that I haven't heard much about. What is the student experience like on these rotations? With residents mostly or with attendings? Are they good at teaching or do they see students as more in the way? I'm not worried about getting a letter from an away rotation, I think I have the required letters already, but I would like a good experience for learning and to get a feel for what ophthalmology is all about.

This was my one away rotation a few years ago. Overall it was an average experience. Almost all of the time was spent helping out the residents in clinic and i didnt see the inside of the OR much at all. I can count on one hand the number of times i interacted with the program director, which was extremely foreign to me seeing as how at my program, away students spend a good 70-80% of the time with our PD in the clinic and OR. I did get to pick and choose some clinics I specifically wanted to attend, particularly with the plastics attending who was a recent graduate and was very knowledgeable. Everyone there was nice but i got an overall sense that most people there were more of the "Academic" personality which didnt really suit me. All of the facilities were nice and smoothly run and Augusta was beautiful. Again this was 2008 so im not sure whats changed since then.

- University of Kentucky

Word on the street was that a rotation at kentucky is almost required to be able to match there.

The two best of that list are Kentucky and MUSC. Both of which if interested I would consider an away there. Great programs.

I'm heading out to UCSD in a few months. Can anyone comment about the rotation? It seems that you work a bit with everyone.

Has anyone rotated at NYU? I have a November rotation there and am wondering if anyone has experience there. I know they send out their interview invitations during the first week of November, so Im also wondering if this rotation would even better my chances of receiving an interview invite.