Medical students' cadaver photos gets scrutiny after images show up online

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

m015094

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Way to go Stony Brook. Really setting an example.

Members don't see this ad.

. However, in 2007 a UMDNJ doctor in Newark was fined $5,000 for stealing a severed hand from a medical school cadaver and giving it to an exotic dancer in a high-profile case that embarrassed the school.

Oh man, did that story get around fast. They told us this story on the first day of anatomy last year. No one believed it.

Way to go Stony Brook. Really setting an example.

Stony Brook has nothing to do with this, save for their novel policy of allowing photos in gross lab. Actually, I suspect that Stony Brook is full of people hoping they don't get lumped in with what one person idiotically did. Some people have no grasp of the concept that sometimes, things are best left on your hard drive only.

Members don't see this ad :)
That happened a few months ago. Nothing you do online in any way shape or form is actually private. So be careful posting those pics from spring break.

yeah, at my old job a resident got suspended cos ge emailed a pic of a guy with a 12-inch blade sticking out of his back being prepped for surgey to his buddy (not in a medical field) who then put it on his facebook page. I have no idea how hospital administrators saw it but they did.

So let's just say what if...

what if a physician had a female pelvis and spinal column and what if he gave it to his grandson before he died and what if the grandson hung the bones in his and his girl friend's garage and what if the grandson then died...

what then?????

is there a proper etiquette with this sort of thing?

The correct procedure is to not post pics of it online anywhere that is semipublic because someone who is not your friend but pretends they are will find a way to send that pic to someone who cares and will get you in trouble within 6 degress of separation.

...or just to not be that idiot taking pictures in gross anatomy lab. Who could possibly think that that is ok? That's like thinking that flash photography is allowed in a strip club. Clearly, a bad idea.

Does bring up an interesting discussion as to FB pictures and and preservation of our reputations as (future) doctors. I know once I get that MD all those FB pictures are going on lock-down.

...or just to not be that idiot taking pictures in gross anatomy lab. Who could possibly think that that is ok? That's like thinking that flash photography is allowed in a strip club. Clearly, a bad idea.

Does bring up an interesting discussion as to FB pictures and and preservation of our reputations as (future) doctors. I know once I get that MD all those FB pictures are going on lock-down.

Two things:

1. The school in question allows / encourages photography in lab.

2. I'd argue that FB should be on relative lockdown in general, if only to avoid issues with the professionalism police at this country's medical schools if you're one who has a potentially controversial thing or two in/on your profile. That, and any pics iffy enough to require lock-down probably ought to not be on FB, no?

You do have a point, if the school makes a point of it to say that its fine, then some people won't think twice, but even if the school allows it, we should be socially competent enough to know better.

As for FB pics, there is just a higher standard in this field. If I were a salesman or electrician or something, few would care if I had pics of me dumping beers on my head. But if patients see pictures of their doctor dumping beers over their head, thats a totally different story...

You do have a point, if the school makes a point of it to say that its fine, then some people won't think twice, but even if the school allows it, we should be socially competent enough to know better.

Know better than to take the pictures?

Know better than to take the pictures?

At my school, numerous anatomy reviews using photos taken during mock practicals have been sent out on school listserves.

As far as taking inappropriate photos with cadavers or posting cadaver photos on any type of public website, that is just beyond stupid.

At my school, numerous anatomy reviews using photos taken during mock practicals have been sent out on school listserves.

As far as taking inappropriate photos with cadavers or posting cadaver photos on any type of public website, that is just beyond stupid.

Mhm, agreed. Wasn't sure if he was talking about it being silly to take pics at ALL -- I was gonna say that I'd definitely do it (and then safeguard them on my hard drive) if permitted.

I wish I had been allowed to take pictures in lab; it would have made studying for the practicals way easier. Obviously public posting of such materials is unacceptable, however.

Oh, no I meant pictures for personal enjoyment rather than for study use. I have tons of old pictures of old lab practicals that I studied from, so I don't have any qualms about that.

1. The school in question allows / encourages photography in lab.

they absolutely do not

this incident has nothing to do with the school . there are stupid people who make bad decisions at every school.

they absolutely do not

this incident has nothing to do with the school . there are stupid people who make bad decisions at every school.

Whoops, my mistake. UMDNJ's DO kids can take pictures.

At least we agree on that other bit.