Medical Students Interested in PM&R

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dc2md

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Many of you med students are looking to learn about PM&R. Many are even applying this year without knowing a whole lot about it.

Well the AAPM&R is having their Annual Assembly this year in San Diego, and are hosting a "Medical Student's Guide to Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation" program at that meeting on Saturday, November 22nd from 8:30-noon.

This will be an AMAZING opportunity to both learn about PM&R and to network with residents. Get some face time with some of the leaders in our field, or some of the lowly residents just looking to spread the work about physiatry and give you honest information. Also, learn about various programs and get information that might not be given or that you're afraid to ask during interviews.

Best yet, it's FREE to register. Of course you'll have to pay for the flight and hotel, but that might be worth it for many of you.

Important: All participants must register by October 20, 2008

Also, there's a limited number of spots so register soon.

For more information see the PDF attachment

Members don't see this ad.

Many of you med students are looking to learn about PM&R. Many are even applying this year without knowing a whole lot about it.

Well the AAPM&R is having their Annual Assembly this year in San Diego, and are hosting a "Medical Student's Guide to Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation" program at that meeting on Saturday, November 22nd from 8:30-noon.

This will be an AMAZING opportunity to both learn about PM&R and to network with residents. Get some face time with some of the leaders in our field, or some of the lowly residents just looking to spread the work about physiatry and give you honest information. Also, learn about various programs and get information that might not be given or that you're afraid to ask during interviews.

Best yet, it's FREE to register. Of course you'll have to pay for the flight and hotel, but that might be worth it for many of you.

Important: All participants must register by October 20, 2008

Also, there's a limited number of spots so register soon.

For more information see the PDF attachment

Forgive my skepticism. Most med students will have a hard time paying for the airfare to San Diego. Heck, attendings are having a hard time justifying the expense of airfare nowadays.

Agree. But for some it might be worth it to be able to mingle with some bigwigs in PM&R, meet some very helpful and honest residents, and maybe even more, be able to talk about it all during their interviews. To be able to say you flew all the way to San Diego and spoke with Drs. Bagnall/Press, etc (along with residents at the programs they're interviewing at) would REALLY show that you have a true interest in PM&R.

I'll be interviewing applicants this year and I worry about a couple things right away with each person. Was this a last minute decision to apply to PM&R? And, are they just getting into PM&R because of the lifestyle? I don't want someone in my program that's just looking for a cush residency with a relatively easier than normal work schedule. But if someone takes the time and money to fly to San Diego to learn more about PM&R and to interact with leaders in our field, that says a lot to me.

If I were a student applying this year or next, I'd look at this as just another interviewing expense. I spent thousands of dollars with applications, flight, hotel, food, car, etc. This is just a little bit more. And heck, maybe if you ask online here, some residents/attendings would be willing to let u stay with them for the night and split the cost.

Members don't see this ad :)
Luckily my friend and I booked our hotel and flight tickets early for a reasonable price, but another collegue of ours went to book last week and it was almost double what we payed...some schools have student affair funds or travel scholarships for conferences and the like, so that may be an option.

I personally can't make it, but I would highly recommend going to this event. I went to the first one in Philly a few years ago when I was an MS-I and it was a great experience.

I'll be there. Don't see any purpose going to the Program since I've done two rotations and will be interviewing at that pint (a bit late in the game to be going to an "Intro to PM&R" meeting), but I think it'll be awesome meeting other students, residents, and attending. Hey phoenix, which school are you from? PM me if you'd like.

I'll be hittin' it too. I'm looking forward to the opportunity to meet everyone, network, and figure out how to best set up rotations and interviews for next academic year.

Its really gonna hurt my pockets, but we're talking San Diego in late November, and I'll get to skip out on a day of pelvic exams. Its already sounding like a great trip :cool:

MISS k allthway :D

you still have my number? call me up! PM me and let me know your plans.

You know I wouldn't miss it.

Yeah man, I'll def hit you up once I get plans finalized, which will probably be in the next couple of days.

I know I dont make such a good looking woman, but if things go as planned, I'll be bringing one with me! Maybe you and the other extern boys wont be disappointed this time around :laugh:

Thanks for posting this, I think I'm on board...

Agree. But for some it might be worth it to be able to mingle with some bigwigs in PM&R, meet some very helpful and honest residents, and maybe even more, be able to talk about it all during their interviews. To be able to say you flew all the way to San Diego and spoke with Drs. Bagnall/Press, etc (along with residents at the programs they're interviewing at) would REALLY show that you have a true interest in PM&R.

I'll be interviewing applicants this year and I worry about a couple things right away with each person. Was this a last minute decision to apply to PM&R? And, are they just getting into PM&R because of the lifestyle? I don't want someone in my program that's just looking for a cush residency with a relatively easier than normal work schedule. But if someone takes the time and money to fly to San Diego to learn more about PM&R and to interact with leaders in our field, that says a lot to me.

If I were a student applying this year or next, I'd look at this as just another interviewing expense. I spent thousands of dollars with applications, flight, hotel, food, car, etc. This is just a little bit more. And heck, maybe if you ask online here, some residents/attendings would be willing to let u stay with them for the night and split the cost.

I don't disagree, I was just lamenting the costs of current travel.

For those students who can/are willing to pay for it, who have relatives in SD, or who live in SoCal, by all means GO!

how does someone get banned for being a troll?? how do u spot a troller?

small electric motor on the back or front of the boat... :D

I wondered the same when I looked at his posts.