medical substances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Insanity66

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I don't know if this is the right forum to post this, but I would like to know something.
I want to be able to tell the type of substance and it's effects just by reading it's chemical name, but I don't know where to inform myself about this kind of thing.
Would you be so kind as to give me some link or book title related to this stuff?

Members don't see this ad.

You will learn how to identify the type of substance based on the name when you take an organic chemistry class. The effects are much harder to predict. For example, methanol (CH3OH) will make you go blind. Ethanol (CH3CH2OH) will get you drunk. 2-propanol (isopropyl alcohol, CH3COHCH3) will just make you sick. There's nothing in the names of these chemical compounds that suggests what they do.

You will learn how to identify the type of substance based on the name when you take an organic chemistry class. The effects are much harder to predict. For example, methanol (CH3OH) will make you go blind. Ethanol (CH3CH2OH) will get you drunk. 2-propanol (isopropyl alcohol, CH3COHCH3) will just make you sick. There's nothing in the names of these chemical compounds that suggests what they do.

How about the class of substances? Where can I learn the attributes of each class?

Members don't see this ad :)
Here you go.

Just look for "nomenclature". The website will outline how carbohydrates, alcohols, ethers, etc. are named.