Medical Technologist Wanting to apply for medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MT2MD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I apologize if I posted in the wrong forum. I am a nontraditional student but I want to know how I am doing

I am 23 years old. Just graduated and just started working as a medical technologist. However, I am thinking of applying for medical school next cycle.

I didn't take the MCAT yet but I planning to take it in June so I have around 6 months to study. Is that too late??? I could always take another year off I guess???

Here is my stat/ec
GPA: 3.88 SUNY

Clinical Experience
- Working as a medical technologist at microbiology lab right now
- Volunteering at the ICU right now (going to have 100 hrs in March)
- About 6 months doing internship with various hospital lab (micro, hematology, chemistry, blood bank and coagulation lab)
- 4 years of volunteering at the Blood Bank 05-09
-2 of these years were as AmeriCorps Team Leader
- Coordinate blood drives between the hospital and school
- talk to donors
- Pathology Department Volunteer (135 hrs) (this was volunteering but I sometimes get to watch pathologist examine specimen)

Shadowing Experience

- Anesthesiology Department (this experience was awesome, I follow a different anesthesiologists every day for a months. I saw all different types of surgeries and spent sometime with the pain management staff)

Research
- 1 semester doing clinical research for the ER (it's just asking patient to do survey)
- 1 semester: Did a research paper with 3 other students on mixing coagulation tube (it was required for my major)
- 2 months researching for the NIH funded project about complications with anesthesiology (I will be honest, I just read medical records for data collection, I did get to attend some awesome medical meetings though)

Extra
TA General Chemistry Sept 06-May07
TA Microbiology Jan-May09
My last semester before graduation, I was interviewing applicants for my major
Last year, I was on the Dean Advisory Committee for the health science center (we talk about problems with the students and center)
1 year on the cycling club (it was pretty awesome, I learned how to fix bicycles and help other people with their bikes)

Various awards and scholarship

What are my chances? I am working full time now so it is pretty hard to do anything extra. Any advice would be helpful. Thank you!!! ;)

Members don't see this ad.

I am a Med Tech as well, and I can understand how hard it is to study for MCAts working full-time. Your application looks great. Good luck!:)

Members don't see this ad :)
With an MCAT of 29+ and your excellent GPA you have a decent chance of an acceptance.

If there's any way to take the MCAT in May, so you have the score back in June, that would be better, but I think you'll be fine with your current plan.

Last edited:
Yes, I am actually a double major in Med Tech and Biology so I have all the pre-req fullfilled. Also, my Med Tech major required me to take almost every science class there is except anatomy. Now I am just really worried about MCAT and the personal statement

Yes, I am actually a double major in Med Tech and Biology so I have all the pre-req fullfilled. Also, my Med Tech major required me to take almost every science class there is except anatomy. Now I am just really worried about MCAT and the personal statement

go over and read the MCAT forum to get an idea of what to use and how to study for it better....:thumbup:

Since you have plenty of time, I would suggest getting some more shadowing in and prepare some ideas to explain the interest in change from lab to clinical for your PS and eventual interviews.

Six months is more than enough to study for the MCAT, probably too much for a lot of people. Take an earlier MCAT if possible/convienent because applying early is huge.

Thank you for the advice guys, I was really worry that my research is not enough for medical school.

After careful consideration, I am planning to take the MCAT May 1 or May 22.

Is the 21 days difference really that crucial? I know it takes a month to get my result back.

Can I submit my application before my MCAT comes back?

Can I submit my application before my MCAT comes back?
Yes, you can. You can submit, applying to just one school so the verification process begins. Once you have the score, you can add schools depending on how competitive the score is. Or not. When you add new schools after verification, they will receive your full application within one business day.

Nope, but I am going to be honest. It's probably not good :(. Going to probably need a lot of studying, especially verbal. I am to the US when I was 8 so English is my second language. I know it's been 15 years, but I still have a noticeable accent and some trouble with the language. In fact, they made me take an ESL class Freshman year.

Last edited:
Many people have trouble with verbal even those that have learned English since birth. It is a matter of learning how to understand passages and apply it to questions. The writing sample requires a good amount of practice as well. Be sure you are used to writing (following directions) and know how to spell since there is no spellcheck.

Good luck studying for MCAT. Out of curious, i just wanna ask, how is it being med tech, do you enjoy it? And do you earn a good amount of money for being med tech? I'm asking because I have to decide my major this semester. Thanks

There is a shortage of medical technologist and the job is fairly stable and secure

I work in NYC and the average salary for a starting MT is around 48k. However, there are people in the field for more than 25 years and they are only making around 62K. Half of the people in my lab have second jobs to supplement their income. You make more in rural as oppose to urban.

You definitely learn a lot more about medicine than the average bio major. But the amount of information from school you will actually use depends on the hospital you work in. A rural small hospital you will probably be a generalist working in multiple labs while a big hospital you will be stuck in a specific field.

I agree with my coworkers that they are overworked and way underpaid. Being a medical technologist and a RN both require a 4 year bachelor degree in specialized program, but the difference in salary and opportunities for advancement are tremendous. Half of my graduating class is already thinking about changing careers (RN and PA specifically).

I find the medical technologist field interesting, but I really miss the patient interaction. I want to be constantly intellectually challenged, to be able to treat and diagnose. During my clinical rotation, when I look at laboratory values I often imagine the type of disease correlated with the lab values. I have an intense desire to see the face of the patient that I am helping. While I am not saying that medical technologist is not a good field to go into. Being a medical technologist does not provide me with what I desire.

Free feel to pm if you have any questions :oops:

WOW, thanks a lot for your information. It was a big help to me to decide my major. Do you think that the class in Med tech could be counted to science GPA? Uhm, by the way, I live in NYC and attend CUNY. ^^:D

I think most of the classes are considered BCPM, certainly classes like microbiology, molecular bio, immunology; other classes like phlebotomy probably not. You get to decide what's BCPM on the AMCAS, they will just make correction if they don't agree.