Medical Terminology Course please help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bricktop

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I notice alot but not all schools require Medical terminology but my school and other schools I have looked into do not offer it and in addition to the ones that I found who offer the course it is apart of a whole curriculum - Medical coding + medical terminology for a certificate.. Is there just a single course out there to be taken? Has anyone taken it? Please help, and let me know your stories. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I took the course online with my school. The University of West Florida. I took it over the summer and I think it was like a 6 week course completely online all test, etc were online. You can look for some colleges or junior colleges that have the course where you can take it online. It was not in combination with any other courses. HTH.

I applied and was accepted to University of South Alabama and Medical terminology was a required pre-req.

Mercy college may offer the course, but as you mention, probably just for those in their various programs.

Medical terminology breaks down into knowing prefixes and suffixes.

i.e. - otomy .. is a suffix that means .. your're going to lose that thing :D
lobotmy, rhizotomy, osteomoty ... it's getting lopped off.

Perhaps if you got a class text from amazon, you could challenge this one?
is there an online course from one of the community colleges in upstate ny?
i.e., empire state college.
Nursing schools dont offer this one? Nassau community has a PT assistant program, suffolk comm has an OT asst program, Farmingdale has a nursing program.
BOCES for CNA's and LPN's maybe? (doubt that they would allow it, but it IS a small class, 2 credits probably.

Hopefully this wont hold you up from getting into a class this summer/fall?

Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
-tomy actually means incision. -ectomy means to excise. I'm taking medical terminology right now, actually :)

I understand your frustration OP. All the community colleges I looked into, medical terminology was part of the medical assistant program or CNA program and they will not allow you to take it unless you are in those programs. I guess you can see do any colleges offer it online.

-tomy actually means incision. -ectomy means to excise. I'm taking medical terminology right now, actually :)

sorry . I suffer from osteo-psychosis :p

I took a 12 week course at Mendocino College online. You just have to download your PDF lectures, take a weekly quiz, a midterm, and final. I got an A and didn't even buy the textbook.