DreamDriven

Will it be?
Aug 4, 2009
Northeastern United States
Status
Pre-Medical
Hello,

I've been luring for the past couple weeks, and use to browse this forum quiet abit 2-3 years ago, but gave it up due to being stressed like the rest of the pre-med's, and worried temptatiously about getting straight A's in every class, but oh well..

Anywho, my question.. When do medical students learn medical terminology? This may be a stupid question, or does it relate to every class. I'm kind of wondering when they were how to say; say i have a bruise on left arm in terminology.

Thanks,
Dream Driven

zayka

10+ Year Member
Feb 7, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
Right away in first year. A bruise is a "subcutaneous hematoma".

Mattabet

Doctor Thunder
10+ Year Member
Jun 8, 2008
Somewhere in SE Wisconsin
Status
Medical Student
It starts even earlier than that, I think. If you're paying attention in biology, you're learning useful stuff. Eventually you get an ear for the Greek and Latin roots... or I did anyway. 'cyte' is cell, 'leuko' is white, so a 'leukocyte'...

You probably know more than you think.

Poliscidoc

7+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Did anybody take a medical terminology class in undergrad? I have thought about taking one now that I saw this class

RogueUnicorn

rawr.
7+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Did anybody take a medical terminology class in undergrad? I have thought about taking one now that I saw this class
that seems a waste of time. the terminology is not difficult and impossible not to pick up in the healthcare environment and just studying in general

Poliscidoc

7+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
that seems a waste of time. the terminology is not difficult and impossible not to pick up in the healthcare environment and just studying in general

Thats what I thought but in my senior year I need some BS classes, so I thought "this looks good and easy"

Jul 8, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical

yes I did three semester ago. And I really enjoyed the class and learned a lot. It's also a very easy A.

Frogmanmike14

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 7, 2007
Chicago, IL
Status
Medical Student
I took it my senior year and like camo says it is an easy A. You learn most of it if pay attention in your science classes. I also took a non-science terminology course with the same teacher and it was even easier.

Mattabet

Doctor Thunder
10+ Year Member
Jun 8, 2008
Somewhere in SE Wisconsin
Status
Medical Student
I took it my senior year and like camo says it is an easy A. You learn most of it if pay attention in your science classes. I also took a non-science terminology course with the same teacher and it was even easier.
Lol, "non-science terminology"? That seems hopelessly broad.

"This week we're learning the following terms: Oil Paint, Bus Stop, Sidewalk, Water Fountain, Library, Hole, and Shoe. Any questions on those?"