JackD

-
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 8, 2007
-
Status
Attending Physician
I tried posting this over in the psychiatry board but was advised that the conversation of this topic may not be too intense over there, so i decided to move it here. Lets hope it will the mods will let it slide.

I was brushing up on antisocial personality disorder today; why not right? When i was reading about treatment for it, it said that one approach is to create a sense of hopelessness, remorse, and anxiety in the client. So i was wondering, have they ever tried to give people with antisocial personality disorder drugs would cause depression or anxiety? I have heard about medications that dramatically lower serotonin levels, like reserpine, wouldn't that help with treatment?

erg923

Regional Clinical Officer, Centene Corporation
10+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2007
Louisville, KY
Status
Psychologist
Sorry, have to post my 2 cents again since it will probably be incorporated into one thread. Hope this gets the discussion rolling.

Hmmm. never heard of such a thing. While low serotonin levels are associated with depression, there is nothing in the literature that suggests this a sufficient mechanism, by itself, for inducing or causing clinical depression. Resperine has been shown to induce depressive symptoms as a side effect of its use, but according to the literature (if i remember correctly), this only occurs in approximately 15% of patients using the drug. Regardless, I cant imagine the ethical justification for inducing depression in someone pharmacologically. Don't know if that's even possible. However, transient mood induction paradigms (i.e.,velton procedure, and hypnotic mood induction) are often used in experimental psychopathology research. Especially by those in cognitive research examining the depressogenic schematas that are theorized to exist in depressed individuals. Ethically, you would violating many principles by imploring pharmacological treatment to induce a depression, if thats even possible. In experimental psychopathology research, the closest you are going to see are these transient mood induction paradigms and empathy induction procedures.

OP
JackD

JackD

-
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 8, 2007
-
Status
Attending Physician
Sorry, have to post my cents again JackD
Trying to pound your argument into my head huh? :D