Medical University of Ohio

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

charliebrown111

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys...i have an interview coming up at MUO...just wondering what you guys know about the interviews....how many interviewers? Any suggestions...i checked the feedbacks, but was wondering if anybody had some specific advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Two interviews. They're both pretty standard. Nothing too hard. They were both like conversations. MUO was cool. I just couldn't live in Toledo.

Whats wrong with Toledo?

Is there anything special aboutthe MUO campus?

Members don't see this ad :)
charliebrown111 said:
Whats wrong with Toledo?

Is there anything special aboutthe MUO campus?

Okay, I have a question for you, CharlieBrown. According to your other thread, you are already accepted at UCI, UCD and UCSD. So I was just wondering why on earth you are going to go and fly out to Ohio for a probable waitlist spot at an OOS school when you've arleady got freakin' THREE acceptances at California schools!

I have an interview coming up at MUO too, and the school seems nice enough and everything, but what the heck are you doing going out there when you are already accepted to three higher ranked schools that are all in better climates, and with in-state tuition? You've won. You're in. You did the (near) impossible. Take your prize(s) and run.

tacrum43 said:
Okay, I have a question for you, CharlieBrown. According to your other thread, you are already accepted at UCI, UCD and UCSD. So I was just wondering why on earth you are going to go and fly out to Ohio for a probable waitlist spot at an OOS school when you've arleady got freakin' THREE acceptances at California schools!

I have an interview coming up at MUO too, and the school seems nice enough and everything, but what the heck are you doing going out there when you are already accepted to three higher ranked schools that are all in better climates, and with in-state tuition? You've won. You're in. You did the (near) impossible. Take your prize(s) and run.

I understand your reasoning, but have certain ties to ohio as well so im contemplating what to do.

I thought the interviews were pretty standard... They do ask a couple ethical q's, so be prepared... I actually had my most interesting interview there. We talked about real philosophical stuff, like God, animals vs. humans, purpose of life, that kind of thing... But that was because he had read my personal statement and was curious about some of the comments I made. It was definitely a discussion, just be prepared to really talk about yourself as a person- and also be prepared to address your PS and essays. Overall though, very conversational!

tacrum43 said:

My guess would be the OP's a stellar candidate looking for a full ride. I hear MUO gives out 8 a year or something.

As for advice, it's ALL in the interview feedback. Know your medical ethics, because some people get grilled nonstop for 45 minutes (me). Toledo's cool, a SmallTown USA feel, which I kind of like, but I know it's not for everyone. Everyone I came across in the whole town was really nice. Dr. Burns gave us a very detailed description of the admissions voting process. In-state tuition after the first year is a HUGE plus. Negatives: weather (though not too bad for the midwest) and relative lack of diversity at the school.

Overall, I really liked it a lot, and will *probably* head there unless by some miracle, I get a better financial deal elsewhere or UCLA decides to live dangerously and take a chance on me.

Good luck! Especially to you, tacrum. :thumbup:

NapeSpikes said:
My guess would be the OP's a stellar candidate looking for a full ride. I hear MUO gives out 8 a year or something.

As for advice, it's ALL in the interview feedback. Know your medical ethics, because some people get grilled nonstop for 45 minutes (me). Toledo's cool, a SmallTown USA feel, which I kind of like, but I know it's not for everyone. Everyone I came across in the whole town was really nice. Dr. Burns gave us a very detailed description of the admissions voting process. In-state tuition after the first year is a HUGE plus. Negatives: weather (though not too bad for the midwest) and relative lack of diversity at the school.

Overall, I really liked it a lot, and will *probably* head there unless by some miracle, I get a better financial deal elsewhere or UCLA decides to live dangerously and take a chance on me.

Good luck! Especially to you, tacrum. :thumbup:

Thanks. :)

And as for the scholarship thing, that is so far out of my reality, I guess I didn't even think about it. And I guess if the OP's family is in Ohio, then I could see wanting to go there. Sorry for jumping to conclusions. :oops: MUO does look like a really good school, I just didn't understand why a California resident would choose it over a UC. Or in this case, three UC's.

NP, sorry to hear you got grilled, but you obviously did very well anyways. :thumbup:

edit: I just looked at your MDapps profile again NapeSpikes. What made you decide to withdraw from GW? I would imagine it's the high cost compared to MUO (with the in-state tuition after three years). Well anyways, thanks for being considerate and withdrawing if you have no intention to go there. :thumbup:

tacrum43 said:
edit: I just looked at your MDapps profile again NapeSpikes. What made you decide to withdraw from GW?

Don't get me wrong, the GWU med school itself was amazing and I'd be happy to attend! It's all about the dream of becoming a doc.

But I have been blessed with the luxury of being able to withdraw from a school that I know I will not attend now for various reasons, one of which is financial. So why not, right?