1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Medical University of Varna

Discussion in 'General International Discussion' started by pre-med lost, Nov 10, 2002.

1. pre-med lost

pre-med lost Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

I found this just a few days ago. I spoke to their North American Office. They gave me solid advice about what to do and not to do. They don't seem to be cutting any corners and actually have admissions standards. It's a first for Eastern European programs! I have looked into a lot of programs in Easter Europe and didn't want to go to any with six-year programs. Their website is: www.varnamed.org Check it out if interested.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Stephen Ewen

10+ Year Member

Even if you would never do PG training in the UK, you should find out if the GMC-GB recognition is for LIMITED or UNLIMITED registration. Limited registration actually means very little, but the latter--well, that would be truly impressive and indicitive of very good things.

4. pre-med lost

7+ Year Member

You're talking about UK. Why should one worry about the UK if there is no interest in wanting to practice there? I looked up the information on UK, it seems that even US and Canadian schools are listed as having only limited registration. Are you suggesting that the US schools are not good enough because they have only a limited registration? For that matter, there are many good schools elsewhere in Europe with limited registration too. Are they not good enough to consider? Uk will accept graduates of schools with limited registration. The only difference between the graduates of a school with limited vs unlimited registration is the PLAB. Students from schools with limited registration need the PLAB while others don't. This is the only difference according to the information posted on the GMC's website. This may be a distinction without a difference. I don't think the UK thing is anything to get excited about. Maybe you may want to tell us why this is so important!

5. naija_pinoy

naija_pinoy Member
    7+ Year Member

yo pre-med lost, hope i'm not outta line here but i've been on the boards for a while and i've read a couple of stephen ewen's posts and i don't think he intended his post to come across the way you apparently interpreted it.

i checked out the site like two days ago, the school has been around for a while, at least their 6 year program has, i'm not too sure about the 4 year program. i think if you intend to practice in cali you should check to see if their 4 year program is recognized.

it seems like a nice place to study, let us know how it goes. all the best mate

6. JMD

JMD Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

pre-med lost,
    I believe that Stephen Ewen was simply trying to say that unlimited registration indicates reaching a certain level of quality, but in no way was he indicating that the school is no good if it had limited registration.
    With so many med. schools in the world, we have to look at certain accreditations, etc. in order to compare.
    I am quite sure that Stephen has a pretty good idea what he is talking about, HENCE THE REASON THAT HE IS THE "INTERNATIONAL MED" FORUM MODERATOR.
    Don't get so defensive, the point of this board is to share info and help each other out...he wasn't attacking your post.
    JMD:D

7. pre-med lost

7+ Year Member

I just didn't understand the rational behind the advice. I wanted to get a little more clarification as to his reasoning.

8. neilc

neilc 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

sounds like a good thing to me...at least they seem very organized and on top of things. i would absolutley ask the cali med board what the status is if you want to work in cali. i talked to the organization out of curiosity when i saw the website, and they were very upfront about what the offered, what they required, etc...i thought that was great.

the polish programs have a 6 year and a 4 year option, but i have seen a lot of negative comments about the schools. 2 students from here were going to transfer, and spent a week in poland only to very quicky return, saying that the 4 year program was not what they expected. personally, i think if you want the 4 year program you should go somewhere that has done it for a while, and modeled it after the US, like the carib programs. the european 6 year programs are awesome, but the schools just don't really know the american system, it seems. but, varna seems good, and the price is right!

i do always encourage folks to really consider whether they want to be among the first grads of a program. ask yourself if it may be a better fit to go with a proven entity, or at the very least be aware that it is a risk to go with a program that has no grads or history to evaluate.

but, all that aside, these guys are organized, and have some good standards, etc...maybe they will be the ones to make a good 4 year program out of eastern europe, i can't see why not!

good luck!

9. Stephen Ewen

10+ Year Member

JMD has my rationale correct.

Numerous schools market that their students can "register" with the GMC-GB. But making the deliniation among the types of registration--limited or unlimited--is what might give indication of quality. Just like most any school can get ECFMG, so can most any school get unlimited GMC-GB registration. But neither mean much of anything as far as indicating quality.

On the other hand, if this med school has unlimited registration--and with EU integration pushes, who knows?--then that factor alone would indicate to me that you have found yourself an excellent school. Though the school may be excellent nonetheless, these sorts of "external validators" can certainly carry some clout. And their are hoards of schools around the world that are excellent but have just not gone through these sorts of processes.

Think of it in these terms: Even if you would never practice in California, it can be nice to know that your school "passed muster" with the CA board. It is similar with this unlimited UK registration matter. It is indicitive of a standard in med edu, externally validated. And having this "clout" behind you can certainly mean something come match time when your application starts hitting the desks of people who have the power to say "yes" or "no" over specific, more competitive pathways to your future.

So, that is why I wondered about this.

BTW, I have written to the school myself asking them to clarify this matter.

10. pre-med lost

7+ Year Member

I had the same impression when I spoke to them. This program has very strict standards and they follow it. ? don't think a new program is that risky if you are going to a real, established, medical school. They would have the infrastructure to make it happen. Varna seems to have solicited advice from North America in setting up the program. I don't care about CA since I won't be going there. I think the risks are much higher in the Caribbean schools, regardless of how along they have been around. I think Europe is a much better option, even if the program is new. I agree about Poland; I looked into it and it's just an outright scam. There is even a "Polish Medical School" forum solely on how bad those schools really are. But from all indications, Varna is on the right course to make an excellent 4yr European program. Thanks for the comment, Niel!

11. The Pill Counter

The Pill Counter Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Unlimited registration with GMC will be a thing of the past for all non-EU schools eventually. Currently my school is accepted for unlimited registration, not for any quality reasons, simply for historical ones, and even that seems to be on the chopping block.

12. naija_pinoy

naija_pinoy Member
    7+ Year Member

i don't want to drive this post of topic so i'll make this as brief as possible, very few schools outside of the EU produce students that are not required to take the PLAB i.e. students that have provisional or full registration and i think all that will change after 2004 click on this link http://www.gmc-uk.org/register/section_19.htm for more info.

13. pre-med lost

7+ Year Member

It seems that reliance on GMC is not that important now. They're taking it away from even the commonwealth courties and limiting it only to the EU members. This must be purely EU driven and has nothing to do with quality and everything to do with EU protectionism!!!

14. Stephen Ewen

10+ Year Member

That is new info, and new info to me--this info, particularly, from the above site:

:( This is a bummer from my perpsective. Now, it will first be about citizenship, citizenship, citizenship, and second about which school was attended; and, the schools switch from the ones formerly to the ones in the European Economic Area (EEA). Anybody know right off hand which countries are currently in the EEA?

And thanks for digging up that info, naija_pinoy. Funny how these sorts of things can pass about so quietly. :mad: We all have things to learn from one another, and many eyes and ears are better than one {two}. :cool: :clap:

Also, I think it is VERY unfair to have just a one year transitional window. What of the folks who two years ago went to one of these schools specifically because of the registraton status??!? :confused:

15. Stephen Ewen

10+ Year Member

16. DAPLAYA

DAPLAYA Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Just out of curiosity, what med school did you go to?

17. pre-med lost

7+ Year Member

I will be visiting this school sometime in Feb. I'm working with their North American office to set this up. I will post the results of my trip. I'm planning to stay there a week. I think that's long enough to learn first-hand what the program is all about.:clap:

18. pre-med lost

7+ Year Member

Here is a site that might be of help for students looking at 4-yr programs in Eastern Europe. The only other country I was able to find offering 4-yr M.D. degrees is Poland. But students should look at this site and make their own judgement about Polish schools. I don't know the accuracy of the information on this site, but it's worth a closer look by anyone looking at Poland. The site is: http://www.network54.com/forum/183613:D