Medical Update HPSP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pawprint

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Quick question. I am a rising 2nd year medical student. I had surgery a couple months ago on my leg (osteochondroma removal) at a civilian outpatient surgery center (found out I needed surgery within a week). I did not know about the osteochondroma until the week before I had the surgery, which was long after I signed on last year. It was on my own private health insurance. I am now completely normal but wanted to know the process of updating the Navy. What all do I have to do in order to properly make sure the Navy is notified? And do I need some sort of note from the surgeon stating I'm fully functional?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone,

Quick question. I am a rising 2nd year medical student. I had surgery a couple months ago on my leg (osteochondroma removal) at a civilian outpatient surgery center (found out I needed surgery within a week). I did not know about the osteochondroma until the week before I had the surgery, which was long after I signed on last year. It was on my own private health insurance. I am now completely normal but wanted to know the process of updating the Navy. What all do I have to do in order to properly make sure the Navy is notified? And do I need some sort of note from the surgeon stating I'm fully functional?

Thanks!

I would contact GME and let them know about the situation. They will likely have the best idea of what to do. And yes...you will need all of your civilian records to include operative note, clinic notes, radiology, labs, and a recommendation from your surgery (something along the lines that you are now well, not physically restricted, and a look at your long term prognosis to include follow-up care).