Medical Volunteering Abroad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Neuronette

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that there have been a ton of questions about this and that it's a debated issue (whether volunteering abroad is worth doing etc). Anyhow, there seem to be TONS of "organizations" that offer programs but some seem sketchy and idk how effectively the programs are run. Are there programs that are actually worthwhile and relatively inexpensive (not more than $1500)....?

Members don't see this ad.

I know that there have been a ton of questions about this and that it's a debated issue (whether volunteering abroad is worth doing etc). Anyhow, there seem to be TONS of "organizations" that offer programs but some seem sketchy and idk how effectively the programs are run. Are there programs that are actually worthwhile and relatively inexpensive (not more than $1500)....?

Before you sign up, ask yourself these questions:

What medical expertise do I possess that is not readily available in poverty stricken nation X?

Do I speak the language in nation X proficiently enough so as to not be a burden on the local medical staff and/or patients?

Would my (parents') $1500+ be better spent by donating it to a local organization providing medical care in nation X?

Does the organization providing medical care in nation X have a long-term program with clear, achievable goals, or does it specialize in taking college students' money and enabling them to wander around a hospital and/or pass out ibuprofen and toothbrushes for 8 days?

100% Agree with the importance of the above questions. Other things to consider: what is you real motive? Is it volunteering or is it just voluntourism? Also, adcoms will scrutinize your motives in doing this. US clinical experience is necessary and sufficient, unlike abroad clinical experiences.

Members don't see this ad :)
Already have some US clinical experience and will continue till medical school. I like volunteering in hospitals :)
Good question. My "motive" wanting to go abroad is to soak up the sights and go on a fun trip while taking care of orphans and HIV patients. -__-

I think I found a program that I like. But thanks anyway for your questions. I do understand where you are coming from. Volunteering abroad is not necessary and domestic help can be far superior for a number of reasons; however, there are some things that can only be experienced through exposure to other medical settings and I hope to gain a better understanding of healthcare in rural/underdeveloped countries.

太上,下知有之。其次,亲而誉之。其次,畏之。其次,侮之。信不足,焉有不信焉。犹兮其贵言。功成事遂,百 姓皆谓我自然

mzarrowsmith, can you really understand all this? i consider my chinese to be very good for an american, and i can't even begin to comprehend this.

Before you sign up, ask yourself these questions:

What medical expertise do I possess that is not readily available in poverty stricken nation X?

Do I speak the language in nation X proficiently enough so as to not be a burden on the local medical staff and/or patients?

Would my (parents') $1500+ be better spent by donating it to a local organization providing medical care in nation X?

Does the organization providing medical care in nation X have a long-term program with clear, achievable goals, or does it specialize in taking college students' money and enabling them to wander around a hospital and/or pass out ibuprofen and toothbrushes for 8 days?

That was a really good post. I'm totally going to copy that and paste it on the next medical missions trip question that comes up. Don't worry... I'll give you the credit ;) lol

Just be sure you're not going to be doing anything that you wouldn't be allowed to do in the US. I'm sure you can take BP/vitals and histories, but if you're not trained/licensed/permitted to do X in the US as a pre-med, you should not be doing it in a foreign country.

太上,下知有之。其次,亲而誉之。其次,畏之。其次,侮之。信不足,焉有不信焉。犹兮其贵言。功成事遂,百 姓皆谓我自然

mzarrowsmith, can you really understand all this? i consider my chinese to be very good for an american, and i can't even begin to comprehend this.

With a dictionary, yes. This is Chapter 17 of the 道德经。 It is difficult to translate into English, but one of the most famous translations is often used by global health practitioners, although I don't think that's the best way to translate it since I think it's more about leadership than service.

Often translated as this:

“Go to the people, live with them, learn from them, love them, work with them, start with what they have, build on what they know, and in the end the people will rejoice: ‘We have done it ourselves!’ ”

(Lao Tzu – China 700 B.C.E.)