Medically Related Competition? Substance for Resume?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vadeem

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey sdn,
So I have this opportunity to compete in series of competitions that deal with topics such as: Medical Math, Medical Terminology, Medical Spelling, etc. If I were to do well and gain some sort of recognition/award for it, do you think this would be a worthwhile thing to list on my application? The reason I'm asking is because the dues to compete are somewhat expensive. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly, my first instinct is that this 'competition' is some money-making scheme thought up by a failed med school wannabe who knows how insanely competitive the med school application process is, and is trying to take financial advantage of that by targeting these meaningless 'awards' to neurotic students and hyper-competitive 'tiger moms' who will grasp at any straw to rack up another award for their resumes. My mental picture isn't very pretty...

Medical spelling?

Reactions: 1 user
Hahaha, well I appreciate the response. It's a competition that is hosted by a club that I'm currently in, HOSA (these competitions are at a local/state/national level). Yeah the events seem kind of childish. Has anyone had any experiences with HOSA competitions?

Members don't see this ad :)
Looks like that's a high school thing? In that case, it probably wouldn't hurt, but honestly, I can't see it helping much...

This sounds like a really dumb competition. Spelling bees are for 14 year olds.

Hey sdn,
So I have this opportunity to compete in series of competitions that deal with topics such as: Medical Math, Medical Terminology, Medical Spelling, etc. If I were to do well and gain some sort of recognition/award for it, do you think this would be a worthwhile thing to list on my application? The reason I'm asking is because the dues to compete are somewhat expensive. Thoughts?

http://www.hosa.org/node/115

Is this like FFA for pre-meds? Seems kind of ridiculous/unnecessary/designed to benefit from the insecurities of ambitious upper-SES youngsters.

The earlier you fall into the pre-med rut, the less likely you are to emerge a well-balanced, broadly educated physician. Being precocious is not always ideal. Don't waste your money.