medically relevant volunteer abroad options?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IbnSinavicenna

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to spend several months in a Spanish speaking country, study the language, and then take a standardized Spanish test to prove my proficiency in the language. Ideally, while I'm there I would like to take part in some medically relevant volunteering. Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas of what I could do?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Well I'm glad you're going abroad because you want to learn the language. From my prospective, students go abroad because they think that they can make a big difference in the world by providing for underprivileged, despite those suffering from the same indifference right here in the US. I digress...

Maybe start mapping out the area and find hospitals in the area. Chances are if you're in a affluent area..you'll find some American speaking individuals. Of course, this comes with health screenings so be prepared for a potentially lengthy process.

That would be the first option I'd seek, if I were in you're Spanish speaking shoes.

Members don't see this ad :)
You should not be paying thousands of dollars in fees to volunteer abroad. I paid about $150 per week to volunteer in an HIV/AIDS orphanage in India. I met another volunteer who is paying about $2500 to volunteer for 6 months in India shadowing local doctors at clinics and hospitals (same placement company). There are a lot of companies out there that take advantage of the lack of information about volunteer abroad programs to charge thousands of dollars to volunteer for a few weeks.

I want to spend several months in a Spanish speaking country, study the language, and then take a standardized Spanish test to prove my proficiency in the language. Ideally, while I'm there I would like to take part in some medically relevant volunteering. Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas of what I could do?

Thanks

Greetings from Spain (Unviersity of Valencia) where students in the Study Abroad program directed by Rutgers University are able to take classes at University of Valencia Medical School. You need a solid background in Spanish (completion/near-completion of the grammar track at your school), you legitimately take class with med students in a different language. You are prepared before the semester starts. There are also opportunities to network with profs to see what kind of volunteering/hospital experience is available. The semester starts Feb 1 so I'm not enrolled in human phys, and anatomy, which are the two med classes i'd be considering - i might just take the easiest arts and sciences classes i can find since my goal is just to hang out in Europe for the semester.
http://studyabroad.rutgers.edu/index.cfm?FuseAction=Programs.ViewProgram&Program_ID=10050

My friend did some volunteering for a few weeks in Honduras. I think he participated in a church mission that helped vaccinate people and care for the poor. Sounded like a good experience, and they speak Spanish.

My friend did some volunteering for a few weeks in Honduras. I think he participated in a church mission that helped vaccinate people and care for the poor. Sounded like a good experience, and they speak Spanish.

The only downside to church missions is they are relatively short term.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using SDN Mobile