medicare guidelines for RF require FACET injection??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NEPain

Attending
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yesterday, our billing people sent us new guidelines from Medicare for RF of medial branches.

Among other serious errors was the following paragraph. Did anyone else receive a similar notice? I use MBB's and certainly don't expect weeks of relief from them!

"Appropriate diagnostic facet blocks have been performed (at least 2 sets, double comparative) and that the patient obtained greater than 50% relief for a minimum of 6 weeks with a continued ability to perform previously painful maneuvers"

Members don't see this ad.

National Medicare, or just your local administrator?

effing ridiculous.

im sure that means an intra-articular facet injection (with steroid? without?), but that language is ambiguous, and im sure can be used to deny approval of RF.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, it's absurd. I assume it's our local administrator as I doubt National Medicare would make such a faux pas. I've asked our billing people and will let you know if it's just local.

I suppose I can find out how to contact our local Medicare to discuss...Any suggestions?

I asked for the original document from our billing people and it turns out that they misinterpreted it. No changes from status quo. Sorry to raise alarm...