Medicare still can't negotiate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nocallaochicas

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dammit, 42 weak/greedy senators have again prevented Medicare from negotiating drug prices. Ain't that great.

The Times quoted one especially slimy senator as saying, the bill is “a step down the road to a single-payer, government-run health care system.”

Well, if he doesn't want single-payer, fine. Then fight against it. He is welcome to fight for ending Medicare or the drug benefit. But this ain't what the bill was about and he knows it.

Damn those 42 for making me pay extra straight to drug companies.

I often see conflicting posts here about how to decrease the waste of money in healthcare. Here is something I think we can all agree would make a significant difference. Folks for single-payer. Folks against it. Folks for Medicare's drug benefit. Folks against it. This would have saved all of us money.

ncc

Members don't see this ad.

Dammit, 42 weak/greedy senators have again prevented Medicare from negotiating drug prices. Ain't that great.

The Times quoted one especially slimy senator as saying, the bill is “a step down the road to a single-payer, government-run health care system.”

Well, if he doesn't want single-payer, fine. Then fight against it. He is welcome to fight for ending Medicare or the drug benefit. But this ain't what the bill was about and he knows it.

Damn those 42 for making me pay extra straight to drug companies.

I often see conflicting posts here about how to decrease the waste of money in healthcare. Here is something I think we can all agree would make a significant difference. Folks for single-payer. Folks against it. Folks for Medicare's drug benefit. Folks against it. This would have saved all of us money.

ncc

Agreed. Keep up the good fight and I encourage all to get involved by letting your legislators know your thoughts on this and like topics.

Here is something I think we can all agree would make a significant difference.

All of us can agree on it except, of course, those of us addicted to the contributions of the pharma companies this bill helps. After accepting that you're a drug company ***** (not any different than any other type of *****, BTW) all that's left is coming up with as creative an explanation for your otherwise obvious vote against reform.

Slipperly slope to single payer.

That's a good one.

Take care,
Jeff

It's just another brick, baby, just another brick...

Members don't see this ad :)
After accepting that you're a drug company ***** (not any different than any other type of *****, BTW) all that's left is coming up with as creative an explanation for your otherwise obvious vote against reform.

Exactly.
I wonder if I would have a bit of respect for one of these guys if they came out and said, "I don't support this bill because I am a drug company *****."
I would at least smile and feel a little better.
ncc

Here's a link, for those who (like me a minute ago) had no idea what this was about...

So far, I'm unable to find anything that tracks which senators voted which way, but I'm sure that will be out there soon.

Here's the link to the voting summary. Good to see my fair state pulling their weight with 2 "yea's".
http://www.senate.gov/legislative/L...ote_cfm.cfm?congress=110&session=1&vote=00132

I think its funny how those opposed cite the dangers of allowing the government to interfere with the prescription drug free market. Isn't this exactly what the government did during the anthrax scare when they essentially strong-armed the makers of Cipro to sell at a reduced price or risk having their patent pulled? Oh the dangers of choosing one's battles.