Medicinal Chemistry as a Clinician

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
I just graduated undergrad a couple weeks ago with a chemistry degree, and did drug discovery research for about a year. I would love to do this type of research long-term, but also see tremendous benefit to a career as a physician. I haven't seen many, or any, examples of physician scientists working on drug discovery, or medicinal chemistry, for their primary research work. Is this possible, or are the two disciplines too separate? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

DM me. Starting a program in the fall—undergrad and gap years doing med chem, intending on chemistry PhD.

Hi, a question along the line. Would the PhD side feel it is not "basic" enough? Thanks.

I just graduated undergrad a couple weeks ago with a chemistry degree, and did drug discovery research for about a year. I would love to do this type of research long-term, but also see tremendous benefit to a career as a physician. I haven't seen many, or any, examples of physician scientists working on drug discovery, or medicinal chemistry, for their primary research work. Is this possible, or are the two disciplines too separate? Thanks.

Check out a previous thread on a medicinal chemistry MSTP: medicinal chemistry PhD as part of mstp It seems to be somewhat rare, but possible. If you're really interested in medicinal chemistry and patient care, you should go for it.

Hi, a question along the line. Would the PhD side feel it is not "basic" enough? Thanks.

It might be difficult to find a lab that focuses on clinical drug discovery or design. You will probably end up joining a lab that is closer to basic science but still prepares you for a future career in medicinal chemistry.