mrd5003

10+ Year Member
Jun 20, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
After completing the active duty and inactive ready reserve requirements for the HPSP, is it possible to go on medical missions overseas; or do you still have an attachment to the military that would not allow you to leave the US?

I ask because I heard in conversation that an older doctor who had left the military after completing his active duty and IRR requirements but before he had completed the standard 20 years required for retirement had been called up to serve during a time of war. Although this story might not be true, it did make me think that maybe a committment does not end after eight years. If ex-military doctors have to committ to serve whenever required, I'd imagine that would complicate my goals of practicing overseas.

The White Coat Investor

Practicing Doc and Blogger
Partner Organization
15+ Year Member
Nov 18, 2002
www.whitecoatinvestor.com
Status
Attending Physician
After completing the active duty and inactive ready reserve requirements for the HPSP, is it possible to go on medical missions overseas; or do you still have an attachment to the military that would not allow you to leave the US?

I ask because I heard in conversation that an older doctor who had left the military after completing his active duty and IRR requirements but before he had completed the standard 20 years required for retirement had been called up to serve during a time of war. Although this story might not be true, it did make me think that maybe a committment does not end after eight years. If ex-military doctors have to committ to serve whenever required, I'd imagine that would complicate my goals of practicing overseas.
For the most part, you're free and clear after your commitment is up. The IRR thing is scary, but AFAIK, no doc has ever been called up using it. I certainly wouldn't avoid the military based on a desire to do medical missions after your commitment. It will affect your desire to do medical missions during your commitment, but it may also provide some unique opportunities to practice internationally.

i want out

10+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2006
Status
Attending Physician

Your story may not be all that incorrect. What I have seen happen that sounds pretty close to what your talking about, is someone finished their 4 active, 4 IRR then they neglected to resign their commission.
After a period of inactivity, they were told they should either resign their commission, or join a drilling reserve unit.
The person that I knew, then joined a drilling reserve unit, and was very promptly called to active duty.

Moral of the story, is that your still in the IRR until you resign your commission.

i want out (of IRR) ((so that I can resign my commission))

Spec Ops Doc

10+ Year Member
Apr 4, 2008
probably deployed
Status
Non-Student
You can do international medical trips while on active duty. Medical personnel are allowed permissive TDY for 1 medical mission trip per year. Check out AFI 36-3003 section F rule 45

This is, of course, dependent on your commander’s approval (and this one has to go up to the MAJCOM SG level).

BomberDoc

ex-BomberDoc
10+ Year Member
Oct 22, 2006
rectum, damn near killed 'em
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Moral of the story, is that your still in the IRR until you resign your commission.

i want out (of IRR) ((so that I can resign my commission))
My donut of misery is reset to the date I can resign my commission. I just don't look at it every day now. Yep, 4 years of slavery and 4 more in constant worry about the shackles getting clamped on again... what a terrible way to pay for med school.