Medicine ain't fo everybody

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sporky

Sporky
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I apologize to you grammarians out there, but I thought I might take some poetic license with my title......

In the last week, I have run into (no, not with my car) 3 persons who had all the "right stuff" to become doctors, but when they checked their hearts, they figured out that medicine wasn't their bag, and wisely, I think, chose other careers. All three of them did way better on the MCAT and in their GPA than I will ever do - so I thought this was a good time to remind everyone that grades and scores do not a doctor make.

This morning, I met Jay (not his real name) who is a school teacher. He teaches pre-cal and algebra II at our best High Skrewl. He scored 34 on the MCAT and had a 3.8 GPA in Micro, when he entered his senior year and discovered that the last thing he wanted to be was a doctor. His dad (who is an engineer) was furious, but eventually he was invited back for dinner. Jay told me that if he is ever fired as a teacher he may consider medicine again - but don't bet on it. He is doing great as a teacher and should stay right where he is.

Last week, I met Mark (his real name) who is an electrical engineer in the Oil & Gas Industry and who scored a 33 on the MCAT having never taken a pre-test or looked at a study guide. He discovered that he liked making money much more than listening to 80 year old women discuss their latest bowel movements and so he started a gas storage business, and was purchased by the large company he now works for as an executive.

Then, I met Wang (not his real name) who whizzed through med school, and then during his residency realized that he was whizzing in the wrong direction. (good thing the wind wasn't blowing!) So, he whizzed in another, and is happy - all to the dismay of his family and friends.

All this to say, if you're going to fly - look out for Super Grover. Better yet, if you are not accepted to your choice school, or if you are; or if you aren't accepted at all, or if you are; or if you decide that you would rather grow mushrooms instead of cultures (well I guess, technically they are the same thing) just remember that life is not comprised of what we do - it is about who we are.

:) SG

Members don't see this ad.

What has always killed me is the number of people who are going into medicine for the wrong reasons. At UPitt, you can throw a stone in any direction and hit about 8 pre-meds. I've met a number of people who would make brilliant scientists but horrible doctors - they can work their way through a difficult synthesis, recite compression moduli, and enzymatically restrict the hell out of a target strand, but they are *horrible* at thinking on their feet, recognizing atypical presentations of common conditions, cannot interact on an interpersonal level, or (my personal favorite), freak out about 9-day-old chicken embryos (Jebus help them when they have to disimpact a bowel).

medicine aint fo' no one, no how, no ware. peace OUT.

Members don't see this ad :)
Quix said:
What has always killed me is the number of people who are going into medicine for the wrong reasons. At UPitt, you can throw a stone in any direction and hit about 8 pre-meds. I've met a number of people who would make brilliant scientists but horrible doctors - they can work their way through a difficult synthesis, recite compression moduli, and enzymatically restrict the hell out of a target strand, but they are *horrible* at thinking on their feet, recognizing atypical presentations of common conditions, cannot interact on an interpersonal level, or (my personal favorite), freak out about 9-day-old chicken embryos (Jebus help them when they have to disimpact a bowel).

Hitting pre-meds with stones can get you into real trouble, so be careful!

Disimpacting bowels, eh?

Sporky said:
I apologize to you grammarians out there, but I thought I might take some poetic license with my title......

In the last week, I have run into (no, not with my car) 3 persons who had all the "right stuff" to become doctors, but when they checked their hearts, they figured out that medicine wasn't their bag, and wisely, I think, chose other careers. All three of them did way better on the MCAT and in their GPA than I will ever do - so I thought this was a good time to remind everyone that grades and scores do not a doctor make.

This morning, I met Jay (not his real name) who is a school teacher. He teaches pre-cal and algebra II at our best High Skrewl. He scored 34 on the MCAT and had a 3.8 GPA in Micro, when he entered his senior year and discovered that the last thing he wanted to be was a doctor. His dad (who is an engineer) was furious, but eventually he was invited back for dinner. Jay told me that if he is ever fired as a teacher he may consider medicine again - but don't bet on it. He is doing great as a teacher and should stay right where he is.

Last week, I met Mark (his real name) who is an electrical engineer in the Oil & Gas Industry and who scored a 33 on the MCAT having never taken a pre-test or looked at a study guide. He discovered that he liked making money much more than listening to 80 year old women discuss their latest bowel movements and so he started a gas storage business, and was purchased by the large company he now works for as an executive.

Then, I met Wang (not his real name) who whizzed through med school, and then during his residency realized that he was whizzing in the wrong direction. (good thing the wind wasn't blowing!) So, he whizzed in another, and is happy - all to the dismay of his family and friends.

All this to say, if you're going to fly - look out for Super Grover. Better yet, if you are not accepted to your choice school, or if you are; or if you aren't accepted at all, or if you are; or if you decide that you would rather grow mushrooms instead of cultures (well I guess, technically they are the same thing) just remember that life is not comprised of what we do - it is about who we are.

:thumbup: Good post
-Dr. P.

I do the stone thing anonymously. [/gunner]

I do the bowel disimpaction thing for a fee (cash preferable). :D

Actually, the particular student I had in mind while writing that couldn't get over the "Ick" factor of a partially developed chicken embryo - I can only imagine her response come clerkship/internship: "You want me to stick my finger WHERE?" :eek:

Or perhaps,

"You want me to remove a candle from where?"

BTW, D.P. I really, honestly know a real Dr. Pepper, and he is a real, M.D. Is that the coolest Doctor name you've ever heard of or what?

The only one I can think of which is better is Dr. Demento - but he's not an M.D.

it dont make no difference, she know what i mean. she dont read too good nohow.

I am the type to freak out about the gross stuff... but I want to be a psychiatrist so I think I can tough it out during med school. Maybe they are the same.

Quix said:
I do the stone thing anonymously. [/gunner]

I do the bowel disimpaction thing for a fee (cash preferable). :D

Actually, the particular student I had in mind while writing that couldn't get over the "Ick" factor of a partially developed chicken embryo - I can only imagine her response come clerkship/internship: "You want me to stick my finger WHERE?" :eek:
Isn't that a filipino delicacy? I think it's called Balut(sp)?

Sporky said:

conversely, there are a substantial number of individuals who would make excellent doctors but do not have the numbers to even make it past the first screening. or, in some cases, the dartboard just failed to be aligned in their favor. guess that's just how it works...glad that your acquaintances are happy in their careers, though. props to them for doing what made them happy instead of what just looked good on paper.

Quix said:

A. That line makes you cool.
B. I agree.
C. Let's not even talk about all the genius kids who suck at the "non-cognitives"... maturity, objectivity, the ability to listen between the lines, compassion, etc. A 40 on the MCAT doesn't make you kind.

I should add that, as a psychology major, I take issues with med schools calling those factors "non-cognitive" but that is neither here nor there :rolleyes:

Thanks to all who weighed in. My initial idea was to appeal to those who are wringing themselves silly over the application process when they really want to take the LSAT or GRE and drink some fizzy drink at their local university club on friday night instead of sit in front of a computer, taking a break from studying for the MCAT (or Physics II).

I also do not find evidence for dart boards, but I do think (though I have no evidence) that there are persons who for some reason never gave medicine a thought, but would have been great doctors. I once heard somebody say that there was probably someone who was a far better singer than Frank Sinatra, but he never picked up a microphone. Perhaps.

Just remember, that this is a process, sometimes not designed or operated in a manner which we might think is fair or equitable, but this process does not define a person.

KBO!!!

Sporky said:
BTW, D.P. I really, honestly know a real Dr. Pepper, and he is a real, M.D. Is that the coolest Doctor name you've ever heard of or what?

Haha, you're the 2nd one to tell me this. Apparently there's a bunch of smart cookies in the soda business.

Unfortunately, I am envious of your dear friend, for my last name actually isn't Pepper ( :eek: :oops: :( ......yes, the natural progressiion is shock, embarassed and then sad), but if it's any consolation, my last name starts with a P.

I'd love to have Dr. Pepper as my physician. But I won't let Dr. Pibb lay a finger on me.
-Dr. P.