MEDICINE AND BECOMING A BUSINESSMAN!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Prince_211

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let's say you're about to graduate and you've made poor decision and got into medical school. You're GPA is great and everything is going well. Now that you're about to graduate, you've decided that you're kinda in it for the money lol. What do you think the best specialty that has good lifestyle and pay's good, which can give you (the time and money) to allow you to open as business or something.

I've still got one final year and internship (so i've got 2 years), before applying to residency programs.

I'm not joking lol.

Members don't see this ad.

Dermy derm derm. Are you based in the US?

No i'm IMG but i've finished my steps (scores are 251, 249 and passed CS). I'm hopefully going to finish my residency in US. I was thinking of interventional cardiology (i've got one paper published in it) but as i've heard the lifestyle sucks and radiation that comes with it.

And the fact that i'm thinking opening business and making money. I'm kinda hesitating lol.

Yeah Derm..I've got a professor who's a dermatologist. He owns this huge clinic. His clinic is flooded with chicks getting their fillers and botox and other crap injected into their face lol. He is making money big time.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
No i'm IMG but i've finished my steps (scores are 251, 249 and passed CS). I'm hopefully going to finish my residency in US. I was thinking of interventional cardiology (i've got one paper published in it) but as i've heard the lifestyle sucks and radiation that comes with it.

And the fact that i'm thinking opening business and making money. I'm kinda hesitating lol.

Yeah Derm..I've got a professor who's a dermatologist. He owns this huge clinic. His clinic is flooded with chicks getting their fillers and botox and other crap injected into their face lol. He is making money big time.

In that case, psych would be the next best thing. You could manufacture a great lifestyle with good to great pay if you do it right.

The odds are you'll be in FM, IM, Peds, Path, or the other IMG tolerant specialties. Cush specialty? I wouldn't hold my breath.
See this:

Reactions: 6 users
In that case, psych would be the next best thing. You could manufacture a great lifestyle with good to great pay if you do it right.

Nah psychiatry isn't my thing lol.

Reactions: 1 user
Why do you say that? My step score is within range for dermatology.
To be completely honest with you, I'm not sure how you can have a near-250 but also not realize how much of a disadvantage IMG-status provides... Chances of derm are prob pretty low unless mom or dad runs the program

Why the internship? You probably wouldn't want to delay the match more than you have to

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
To be completely honest with you, I'm not sure how you can have a near-250 but also not realize how much of a disadvantage IMG-status provides... Chances of derm are prob pretty low unless mom or dad runs the program

Why the internship? You probably wouldn't want to delay the match more than you have to

No i do understand. That's why i was going for Cardiology.... But the thing is, if you're a top student. I believe my country has signed with a few hospitals in US (such as tufts, University of Maryland and others) to accept residents in dermatology every year as scholarship. So i've got a good advantage i think.

I've got a friend from my university who scored just like me and matched at tufts afew years ago. So i don't know.

You are also thinking too much prestige. Honestly if you want to run it like a pure business then do family medicine. Short residency and you can open it anywhere and be successful. Hire multiple mid levels to over see and make them see all of the patients with you overseeing. And FM teaches you enough in office procedures that you could do including shave biopsies, lac repairs, joint injections, and even Botox injections if trained. All of that with investing money early.

Not saying you should do it that way because the quality of care most likely will not be the highest, but if you are trying to stack dollars and make it a business then that’s a sure fire way to make a lot of money. Why spend another 3 years in fellowship when you could’ve diversified your portfolio in that time and built up a practice that will pull in a lot of money if you overwork the midlevels. High turnover? Sure but you can always replace them because there is such a surplus with the number of graduates. /s

• Dislike
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I don’t intend to offend you, but if that one paper is your only pub, then you wouldn’t be competitive for derm even if you were a USMD. Derm has no shortage of 250+ applicants with multiple derm-related publications from domestic schools.

Why are you yelling?

To answer your question, as said above best bet is likely psych, but if that's not your thing, you should probably just focus on primary care and then do other things like consulting or opening your own cash only clinic. I wouldn't hang my hat on a derm match.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm not a businessman I'm a business, man.

Why are you yelling?

To answer your question, as said above best bet is likely psych, but if that's not your thing, you should probably just focus on primary care and then do other things like consulting or opening your own cash only clinic. I wouldn't hang my hat on a derm match.
it reminded me of a boomer comment on FB tbh.

Reactions: 2 users
It looks like the OP is a 3rd year medical student in Saudi Arabia. If you want to go for Business Man $'s drop out of medical school and switch your major to Petroleum Engineering. That is where the Saudi $ is. That is probably a more viable path than getting a competitive medical residency in the U.S.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
There does appear to be numerous Saudi Arabian derm residents at Tufts. I have absolutely zero idea what the connection is or how it works but that would be your only chance at derm. And you likely won't get it without significantly more research. A 250 for derm is pretty "meh" honestly.

There does appear to be numerous Saudi Arabian derm residents at Tufts. I have absolutely zero idea what the connection is or how it works but that would be your only chance at derm. And you likely won't get it without significantly more research. A 250 for derm is pretty "meh" honestly.
Yeah, I heard that the Saudi government actually covers the entire Saudi medical resident's costs at some sites in the U.S. ...The sites get over $100K per year for each fully sponsored Saudi resident. ...Oil $ at work. That is a good back-door to have to a competitive U.S. medical residency.

How many research do you usually need? to match derm???

And what USMLE score do you usually need to match ???

Reactions: 1 users
I had better scores than you, 15 publications and got 15 interviews for my specialty; either you are a troll or delusional

hahahahaha ok you got all that and matched into psychiatry lol.. that's so funny...

But think i'll stick with cardiology lol

• Inappropriate
...I believe my country has signed with a few hospitals in US (such as tufts, University of Maryland and others) to accept residents in dermatology every year as scholarship. So i've got a good advantage....
It’s only 1, maybe 2, depending on the program, spots that are reserved for Saudi applicants, so that’s a significant limiting factor. Those spots are also funded/sponsored by Saudi entities and come with significant strings attached that may require you to return and practice in Saudi or pay back a considerable sum of money.

Last edited:
hahahahaha ok you got all that and matched into psychiatry lol.. that's so funny...

Matching into psychiatry doesn't diminish anything the poster accomplished or said. No idea why you think it's "so funny."

Reactions: 7 users
It’s only 1, maybe 2, demanding on the program, spots that are reserved for Saudi applicants, so that’s a significant limiting factor. Those spots are also funded/sponsored by Saudi entities and come with significant strings attached that may require you to return and practice in Saudi or pay back a considerable sum of money.

That is true.

you clearly dont read...my tag says what I matched into...
this guy is clearly trolling
Ya and it is soooooooooooooooooo funny I successfully matched, got board certified and doing what I wanted to do. Better match quick...with step 1 going pass/fail your score will mean next to nothing being an IMG

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Ya and it is soooooooooooooooooo funny I successfully matched, got board certified and doing what I wanted to do. Better match quick...with step 1 going pass/fail your score will mean next to nothing being an IMG

Op is more of a FMG than IMG. He may not even have any ties to US. Not sure if I were a PD, I would want to train him.

Cardiology is at least 6 years, Interventional is 7, if not 8. If you want to get out and be a businessman, would not be my first choice.

Last edited:
Op is more of a FMG than IMG. He may not even have any ties to US. Not sure if I were a PD, I would want to train him.

Cardiology is at least 6 years, Interventional is 7, if not 8. If you don’t want to get out and be a businessman, would not be my first choice.

What do you think specialties that fit???

ok calm down.. take its easy man.. no need to get all angry lol....if i don't match i will just stick with local program.. no big deal.. I'll come back for a fellowship..

Problem solved lol.

• Dislike
ok calm down.. take its easy man.. no need to get all angry lol....if i don't match i will just stick with local program.. no big deal.. I'll come back for a fellowship..

Problem solved lol.
I am not angry, it’s just your sheer ignorance that has me shocked

Mocking other people for the specialty they choose isn't really a great look...says a lot about you...

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
Mocking other people for the specialty they choose isn't really a great look...says a lot about you...

Calling other people trolls or delusional isn't a great look either.

• Dislike

Problem solved lol.

You obviously have not done any research in residency programs. If you aren’t here for residency, there are very few specialities will let you do a fellowship here.

Maybe you’re an actual Saudi Prince, but here on this board, if you don’t do your homework, expected to be sh!+ on.

What kind of business do you want to run. If you want to run a health care system, you can get away with IM/Anesthesia/EM without fellowship. Small business then different. Lastly, if you’re like other Saudi princes that I’ve had good fortune to meet, you are more after prestige than money. (Let’s face it, you don’t need the money if you’re actual Saudi royalty). Then you want to get into some IM program that can get you something you can sell to your people as “top of the line” specialties. Critical care sounds impressive. Or even nephrology, ID.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users
Calling other people trolls or delusional isn't a great look either.

To be fair to them no one really knows what you're trying to accomplish here

You obviously have not done any research in residency programs. If you aren’t here for residency, there are very few specialities will let you do a fellowship here.

Maybe you’re an actual Saudi Prince, but here on this board, if you don’t do your homework, expected to be sh!+ on.

What kind of business do you want to run. If you want to run a health care system, you can get away with IM/Anesthesia/EM without fellowship. Small business then different. Lastly, if you’re like other Saudi princes that I’ve had good fortune to meet, you are more after prestige than money. (Let’s face it, you don’t need the money if you’re actual Saudi royalty). Then you want to get into some IM program that can get you something you can sell to your people as “top of the line” specialties. Critical care sounds impressive. Or even nephrology, ID.

Maybe i am a Saudi prince.. Yes our government has signed with a few hospitals in US to take some of your fellowship spots too lol. So getting a fellowship isn't as hard as you think (for us Saudi princes at least lmao) lol.

• Dislike
Maybe i am a Saudi prince.. Yes our government has signed with a few hospitals in US to take some of your fellowship spots too lol. So getting a fellowship isn't as hard as you think (for us Saudi princes at least lmao) lol.

But then you’re not really allow to practice here. What’s your end game?

I don’t give a fuk where you practice. But like I said, YOU need to know what you’re trying to achieve. Practice in the US or have something “cool” to show for are two very different objectives.

Congratulations on the step score! Maybe do pathology and open a blood bank in an eastern/middle eastern country? I had a professor who has opened multiple blood banks in India and he has all the free time and money anyone could ask for. He's always hiking mountains, taking foreign vacations, etc.

But then you’re not really allow to practice here. What’s your end game?

I don’t give a fuk where you practice. But like I said, YOU need to know what you’re trying to achieve. Practice in the US or have something “cool” to show for are two very different objectives.

Inorder to practice in the big hospitals here. They require that you get you either finish your residency or followship from North America (used to be Europe like 20 years ago). There are exceptions to this rule of course (if you're an outstanding physician even from local program. They will take you). But for most part, they require you to get trained in North America.

You'll be free once either you work for the hospital (for as long as they have sent you). Let's say you residency + fellowship was like 8 years. You have to work for that hospital 8 years or pay them back. After that. You are free to do whatever you want. They don't care. Work in the US if you want.. This was my original plan, finish my Interventional Cardiology in the US and go back to work in one of the big hospitals in Saudi.

Anyways, now i'm thinking of changing plans into something that allows me to open businesses and make some money. I'm trying to find a specialty that allows me finish residency/fellowship early, and have time and money to open businesses (i'm talking like private clinic, coffee shop, restaurants, ecommerce) while at the same time finishing my training. I think i can get into all specialties here in local program, even Dermatology.

Inorder to practice in the big hospitals here. They require that you get you either finish your residency or followship from North America (used to be Europe like 20 years ago). There are exceptions to this rule of course (if you're an outstanding physician even from local program. They will take you). But for most part, they require you to get trained in North America.

You'll be free once either you work for the hospital (for as long as they have sent you). Let's say you residency + fellowship was like 8 years. You have to work for that hospital 8 years or pay them back. After that. You are free to do whatever you want. They don't care. Work in the US if you want.. This was my original plan, finish my Interventional Cardiology in the US and go back to work in one of the big hospitals in Saudi.

Anyways, now i'm thinking of changing plans into something that allows me to open businesses and make some money. I'm trying to find a specialty that allows me finish residency/fellowship early, and have time and money to open businesses (i'm talking like private clinic, coffee shop, restaurants, ecommerce) while at the same time finishing my training. I think i can get into all specialties here in local program, even Dermatology.

Dude. This is why you’re getting sh!+ on in this thread.

I could careless what you want to do with your life. You have NO IDEA what’s required of you here in the US. You need to be trained and pass your boards in the US to practice in US. If you just need to have something to show for in your country, pick something prestigious for you. If you just don’t care for medicine and want to open a restaurant, why would you waste your time.

So what’s the shortest residency and fellowship you can do? Do you even know the answer to that? You have not done any research into YOUR life, why would anyone help you?

I just realized you’re probably 18 years old and had everything handed to you on a silver platter.

I am done, op. Good luck.

Dude. This is why you’re getting sh!+ on in this thread.

I could careless what you want to do with your life. You have NO IDEA what’s required of you here in the US. You need to be trained and pass your boards in the US to practice in US. If you just need to have something to show for in your country, pick something prestigious for you. If you just don’t care for medicine and want to open a restaurant, why would you waste your time.

So what’s the shortest residency and fellowship you can do? Do you even know the answer to that? You have not done any research into YOUR life, why would anyone help you?

I just realized you’re probably 18 years old and had everything handed to you on a silver platter.

I am done, op. Good luck.

I said what is the shortest residency/fellowship AND one that allows you make allot of money AND have the time to work on businesses. Is it possible? That is my question.

I do know what is required. I've scored good on the steps (enough to get into IM), published 1 paper (i know i need more). I've presented my paper at conference and got an award.. I've done volunteer work related to cardiology, i've done courses and workshops related to Cardiology. I've got 2 years left to work on my CV.

As far as Cardiology, i think i'm doing great...

I'm just having second thoughts that is all...

Last edited:
Fun thing about cards... it’s competitive. You need to land a good IM residency first. Then it’s at least three years to finish a cards fellowship. That’s at least 6 years you’ll have to dedicate to it.

Idk the process for fellowship apps, but volunteering isnt what a fellowship director is really looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.