Medicine and Hobbies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

John G

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've just been realising that my only current hobby is studying! Used to play golf, still a member of a club, gona try and take it up again. Lack of time is not an excuse, I have about 5 months of the year of! So what do other people do to keep their minds of things, other than studying?

Members don't see this ad.

Working out, watching dvds, reading...occasionally going to clubs (although I'm admittingly a home body).

CANES2006 said:
Working out, watching dvds, reading...occasionally going to clubs (although I'm admittingly a home body).

doing these....martial arts is another way to take off stress both during classes and when alone.

Members don't see this ad :)
knit, sew, cook (more than just meals - I BAKE), home repair, car repair, gardening, being a taxi for my kids, family outdoor activities like hiking, walk the dogs, read just about everything I can lay my hands on... there are a ton of things I do that aren't school related.

gotta do something outdoors, to balance all the time you're spending indoors, not to mention also to make some vitamin D

i like to bike and run. good for the mind and body.

Will I have enough time to work out once I'm in med school, especially during third year? I love being healthy and I'm worried I will lose that during school/residency.

BooMed said:
Will I have enough time to work out once I'm in med school, especially during third year? I love being healthy and I'm worried I will lose that during school/residency.

Yes, definately. You just have to make working out a priority. I'm in my 2nd year and have always had enough time to work out. My roommate is a 3rd year and works out for 2 hours everyday except for when she was on surgery. I think she would admit though that she could have made time even then.

I work out about 4 times a week. I use it as a study break to let my brain relax. After a couple hours of studying, it gets your blood flowing and you're ready for more studying. Other hobbies: watercolor painting, video games, designing furniture.

Wow, thanks guys, that is great to hear. :) I really think that working out helps me in ever aspect of my life... maybe because I'm more relaxed and I sleep better.

My current #1 hobby: researching and coauthoring an article relating neuroscience and philosophical methodology with an old friend.

Also: working out, tag football, chess, scrabble, surfing the web, table tenis, and reading for leisure.

John G said:
I've just been realising that my only current hobby is studying! Used to play golf, still a member of a club, gona try and take it up again. Lack of time is not an excuse, I have about 5 months of the year of! So what do other people do to keep their minds of things, other than studying?

Hanging around my apartment trying not to smoke

don juan said:
Hanging around my apartment trying not to smoke

Haha, i know the feeling....although i wouldn't necessarily call it a hobby

Snowboarding when I get (err, should I say force?) a free weekend day, though I've done that much less nowadays...

Hobbies? What are those?

:p Just kidding. It's just been a busy week (which feels more like a busy month).

My hobbies include:
-reading for fun (mostly fiction, mostly Canadian)
-going for walks
-watching CSI & other shows of that ilk
-lying on my living room floor listening to my favourite albums
-drawing (not as much as I'd like)
-going out to see good bands play in bad bars
-ignoring the mounting mess in my apartment
-ignoring my New Year's resolution to study more in advance of exams
-visiting home every couple of months
-wasting a lot of time lounging about at school, without doing any actual schoolwork
-convincing old friends to come visit me in a new city
-not knowing how to cook
-having a bad diet

BaylorGuy said:
doing these....martial arts is another way to take off stress both during classes and when alone.

I also find some serious rewards in martial arts. It is a GREAT way to unwind. Which one do you study? I do Jujutsu and it is awesome.
Also, I learned a HUGE amount on the musculoskeletal system from it. Any aspiring Orthopedic Surgeons out there might do well from it!!! ;)

Callogician said:
My current #1 hobby: researching and coauthoring an article relating neuroscience and philosophical methodology with an old friend.

Also: working out, tag football, chess, scrabble, surfing the web, table tenis, and reading for leisure.

Are you sure getting arrested isn't one of them? I only ask because dude......your picture totally looks like a mug shot.
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Ran a marathon last semester. 'Course I tweaked my IT band so I haven't been running in a while. Bitch-ass injury. Anyway, even considering that, I highly recommend running. Your first runner's high will blow your mind.

thatguyagain said:
I also find some serious rewards in martial arts. It is a GREAT way to unwind. Which one do you study? I do Jujutsu and it is awesome.
Also, I learned a HUGE amount on the musculoskeletal system from it. Any aspiring Orthopedic Surgeons out there might do well from it!!! ;)

I do Bushi-Ban karate-do. Its country of origination is Pakistan suprisingly enough (more recent martial art). I haven't been in it too long, but it definitely applies pretty much everything scientific. its suprising what the human body can do and ditto on the musculoskeletal system.

Brainsucker said:
Ran a marathon last semester. 'Course I tweaked my IT band so I haven't been running in a while. Bitch-ass injury.

SO ANNOYING! I'm trying to train for one now...

Skichic56 said:
SO ANNOYING! I'm trying to train for one now...

Good luck. Don't overtrain. I don't think that contributed to the injury, but I definitely didn't feel as fresh the day of the marathon as I should have. Qualify for Boston next time...