Medicine and Politics (Interview tips help)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AdamSD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I am currently preparing for my interview that's coming soon and was wondering if you could broaden my knowledge on medicine in politics.
I was told that questions regarding health care often comes up in interview. How in depth do I need to know? Can anyone present me with examples?
Beside the ACA that was implemented recently, are there any other important health bills that I should know about?
I'll definitely do my research on the topic, but my expertise in the area are very limited. So I had no idea where to start looking.

Some help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

know about medicare v medicaid. the PPACA is not completely implemented yet but is being phased in from now until 2015, know about its changes and the challenges is addresses and creates. know about healthcare systems in other countries. understand euthanasia, stem cell issues, abortion, end of life care, chronic disease management. depending on the school and your background/interests you might also want to understand challenges to healthcare access. the point isn't to be an expert with any of those topics (and several others), but to be familiar enough with the issues to converse about them. In preparing for my interviews I also had a question or two ready about different topics that I wanted to ask the interviewer as a way to engage in a conversation about the issue. They are not going to expect you to have all the answers, but you should be informed.

If you don't know anything about a topic that gets posed to you, gracefully try and get out of it--deflect, change topic, or simply say "That's not something that I've had the chance to learn much about yet (but I am certainly interested in anything you have to tell me about it [optional]).

Blabbering on about something you obviously don't know is minus minus points. And very painful to watch.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks you 1stMed and Nymph, that's really helpful and I might have to use the get out of jail free excuse once or twice on this kind of topic. Will definitely do some reading on them prior though.
1stMed (or anyone that's has these kind of question before for that matter)
So should I be focusing on the good, the bad, and the basic general principle behind each topic?