Medicine and surgery LORs (tell them you are ophth?)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dk23

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Did you guys tell your med and surg LOR writers that you intend to go into ophth? Or do you ask them to write a general letter for you without specifying any particular interest?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Absolutely I told everyone. If they like you and think you're a good candidate, they will write a strong letter for you regardless of your specialty of choice. In addition, most letter writers will require a personal statement in which most applicants will discuss why they chose their specialty.

eyedr said:
Absolutely I told everyone. If they like you and think you're a good candidate, they will write a strong letter for you regardless of your specialty of choice. In addition, most letter writers will require a personal statement in which most applicants will discuss why they chose their specialty.

...then they are not someone who you want a letter from.

just my opinion, but people who write letters have done it before, and your honesty is a trait that they will admire as opposed to trying to "play it safe."