Medicine and the Media

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

H0mersimps0n

HMO CRUSHER
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Two things I saw on TV today:

1.) World News Tonight with Peter Jennings, did a story on how medical students who "all" have to take the boards will now be tested on "bedside manner."

That was almost exactly what was said in the story, no mention of USMLE, COMLEX, DO's, MD's, just medical students grouped into one big group and all taking this one exam...

A better story would've been that the USMLE step 2's decided to do what the COMLEX already does

2.) On Leno, I just saw on HEADLINES he showed a Dermatologists name (it was funny)- Dr. Urash but on the card, big and right on the screen it had those two wonderful letters after his name: D.O.

Wonder if anyone noticed...

Just thought I'd see if anyone else saw these and had any thooughts?

Members don't see this ad.

NBME have been developing the PE portion of USMLE for years. It was their(NBME)stupid idea/scheme not ours(NBOME), we just got the program up and running faster. The test is nothing but a revenue generating scheme for NBOME/NBME, which of course we students are paying for.

yeah the report was funny because they interviewed someone high up from the AMA who was against the extra testing and said that exactly - It's just going to cost the students another $1000 a piece

Members don't see this ad :)
I noticed that you're inhumanly obsessed with the two initials that follow people's names (like most D.O.s).

I agree that the fee is INSANE and the fact only a few sites offer the test blows cattle products.

Isn't this exam's administration in response to a push from political powers that be that there is less humanity in medicine and thus a exam to prove bedside manner is needed?

Of course, you can fake it for a day or two...pass the boards and still be an ass. Maybe we'll just add acting classes to the premed prereqs. :)

Kinetic, I notice you rarely add anything useful to a post...

Robz, I agree whole-heartidly, nothing a good actor couldn't pass and not worth the extra money to catch the few who are not socially competent enough to practice in the first place. <sigh> so many other issues that need attending to...

Nothing is useful about this thread. "Ooo! Did you see the guy over here! He was a D.O.!!" *swoon!* *orgasm!* "How about that guy on that show! Also a D.O.!!! People really are noticing us!!"