Medicine books for surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrRowing81

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
Hey

I was wondering if you any of you medicine guys has any recommendations for me. I am starting General surgery this year. I am currently on my advanced medicine rotation, and I actually enjoy it a lot. I am getting the hang of taking care of medical problems and feel comfortable managing them. I would like to be able to do that as an intern and throughout my residency rather than having to call you guys up for stupid consults. Does anyone have a recommendation for a easy to carry book that would cover these basic things (if its applicable to surgery, even better).

Thanks

rice

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Pocket Medicine second edition by Marc Sabatine. This is the only reference I carry in my pocket, I find it very useful. Concise, has lots of tables, nomograms, etc.

deacon81

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I second that. I'm a fourth year going into Medicine and I have used several different pocket references the past couple of years and have found Pocket Medicine to be the most useful. It really gives you the pertinent info that you would need on call and when writing orders. The negative I would say is that is doesn't have as thorough explanations about the diseases as say the Washington Manual for example.

DrRowing81

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
thank you very much for your help. Good luck!

Eidolon6

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hospital Medicine by Wachter has some good chapters and addresses issues germane to inpatient care. I would also recommend a good critical care text like Essentials of Critical Care by Marini/Wheeler. Good luck.

lateness

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Pocket Medicine second edition by Marc Sabatine. This is the only reference I carry in my pocket, I find it very useful. Concise, has lots of tables, nomograms, etc.

i agree its a great pocket book. so is washington manual too, but maybe a little more detail than you may need but good nevertheless.