• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

DrRowing81

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 2, 2006
Boston
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Hey

I was wondering if you any of you medicine guys has any recommendations for me. I am starting General surgery this year. I am currently on my advanced medicine rotation, and I actually enjoy it a lot. I am getting the hang of taking care of medical problems and feel comfortable managing them. I would like to be able to do that as an intern and throughout my residency rather than having to call you guys up for stupid consults. Does anyone have a recommendation for a easy to carry book that would cover these basic things (if its applicable to surgery, even better).

Thanks

rice

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 19, 2002
Status (Visible)
  1. Fellow [Any Field]
Pocket Medicine second edition by Marc Sabatine. This is the only reference I carry in my pocket, I find it very useful. Concise, has lots of tables, nomograms, etc.

deacon81

10+ Year Member
Nov 9, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I second that. I'm a fourth year going into Medicine and I have used several different pocket references the past couple of years and have found Pocket Medicine to be the most useful. It really gives you the pertinent info that you would need on call and when writing orders. The negative I would say is that is doesn't have as thorough explanations about the diseases as say the Washington Manual for example.

About the Ads

Eidolon6

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 8, 2003
Status (Visible)
  1. Fellow [Any Field]
Hospital Medicine by Wachter has some good chapters and addresses issues germane to inpatient care. I would also recommend a good critical care text like Essentials of Critical Care by Marini/Wheeler. Good luck.

lateness

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 7, 2005
West of East
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Pocket Medicine second edition by Marc Sabatine. This is the only reference I carry in my pocket, I find it very useful. Concise, has lots of tables, nomograms, etc.

i agree its a great pocket book. so is washington manual too, but maybe a little more detail than you may need but good nevertheless.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.