1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

medicine changing to surgery

Discussion in 'Surgery and Surgical Subspecialties' started by samer333, Apr 28, 2007.

1. samer333

samer333 Member
    10+ Year Member

Hi everyone!

I am a 2nd yr med resident, soon starting my 3rd year. I am interested in applying to surgery.

I did not get surgery initially, thus I scrambled and got medicine. Surgery is still my passion. I was wondering if after doing 3 years of medicine will significantly raise my chances of getting into a surgical categorical spot?

Thanks for reading.
    Samer

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic!
    Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I doubt it...remember, you will be out of CMS/HCFA funding, which will be a strike against you and there will be questions as to why you didn't keep trying to get a surgery position rather than go straight into medicine.

Surgery is more competitive these days than it was 3 years ago when you applied. That doesn't mean that your medical knowledge won't be valuable - it certainly would be, but rather that its difficult for everyone to match and your medical training will not significantly affect your application, IMHO.

4. Why did you continue as a medicine resident, instead of reapplying for surgery?

5. bubblegumbezoar

bubblegumbezoar Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I would be interested to know if that works for you. I do know of a pediatrician who went into optho and another internal medicine graduate who went into optho after both completed their first residencies, but more than 5 years ago, so I think that funding may be an issue, but I also think that basically, if some program wants you, they want you, and that's the end of it.

6. I don't know too much about the resident funding issue. I do know about trying over and over again to get into surgery.

From a bigger picture and idealistic perspective, IM should make you a better physician over-all.
    But...

The questions will remain:
    1. If you really wanted surgery why not do a prelim in surgery?
    2. Why not do two prelims in surgery???
    3. After you matched into IM (your stated back-up/second choice), why did you not try to get back into the match again?

Those are rhetorical but you will likely have to answer them if you do try for surgery again... there is no need to answer them for me or anyone else here... but think of what you will have to say at a possible interview.

Now, let's get to you actually matching...
    1. Can you actually accept being at the bottom as an intern again and accept that your program seniors (age juniors) are in charge and you need to shut up and do as your told?
    2. I did three internships. can you deal with that? You will actually be a "medicine" doctor. You will have more then one year of calls, clinic, etc... indoctrinating you and shaping your thought process. Surgery will want an answer fast and to the point.... My experience with medicine consultants was long walks in the garden to meditate on the question/puzzle/problem at hand.... paragraphs and paragraphs of DDx, a very long history, family, social, sexual, medical (often ignoring the surgical... leaves room to call for a consult and then say, "we didn't realize he already has his GB or appy out... he's a bad historian"), then you need the ROSystems...

If you can get the job... do it. Just know your boat has probably already left the harbor and you will really need to come to grips and find a means to unify the different phylosophies and approaches and accept constant second guessing from colleagues.

#5 Skylizard, Apr 30, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2008
  7. Castro Viejo

Castro Viejo Papa Clot Buster
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Keep trying if General Surgery is what you really want in a career, and this means doing well as a preliminary intern and then a resident. Bear in mind, though, that the new American Board of Surgery (ABS) rules dictate that, starting with the Class of 2008 (my year) and beyond, Board Eligibility will require residents to have completed their five years of General Surgery in no more than three institutions.

Surgeons in the past have bounced from one hospital to another, repeating an internship, a second year, and in some cases, the third or fourth years of residency until they finished off five years of training. This sometimes even involved going through five or six different hospitals to get that training!