1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

medicine in russia

Discussion in 'General International Discussion' started by soonic, Jul 16, 2001.

1. soonic

soonic Junior Member

does anyone have idea that how is medical science in russia? how is the repution of medical schools of moscow? i am getting a chnace to join but someone told me its not that much good.......?????? does anyone know which branch of specilisation is considered good if completed from russia/moscow??????? :confused: :(

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Stephen Ewen

10+ Year Member

I understand the First Medical Institute in St. Petersburg is very good. Second Medical Institute, uh, second. Sangik still less so. I am not sure about Moscow programs, but will say that many third world nations have depended for years upon the fromer USSR to plant the seeds of med edu in their country, so it cannot be too bad.

They are 6 years programs there--premed and basic during the first three 3 years clinicals other 3. As elsewhere, extended time on medicine and less on non-medical subjects can give one a very good knowledge base. Moscow State University http://www.fbm.msu.ru/index-e.html , and a few others, on my last count, offered basics in English with concurrent or prior Russian language classes to prepare one for clinicals. Same in Belarus, Georgia, and other former soviet republics too.

4. Dreamer

Dreamer Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Stephen is right in regard of St. Ptersburg's schools. However, if the trend which existed in Soviet times continues Moscow's First and Second should be ranked higher than St. Petersburg but you have to find out for it has been more than 10 years I was applying to Med. Schools at home.

5. Hirurg

Hirurg Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I may be biased...but Moscow school and practice of medicine is cardinally different from St. Petersburg school. The 1st Med Istit. is definitely the best in the country. The programs are very good at any med institute in St. Pet's or Moscow. Russian grads from both cities do extremely well on USMLE (that is if they have skills in English!). My friend is doing a residence in Yale now. He is from 1st Med. The structure of Pre-basic, basic, clinical is working better for creating broad knowledge base.
    So the schools are excellent!!!
    But! But! But! But!

You must go Russian School (vs. ones that recently opened up to fit American standards).
    If you go to Russian school, forget about knowing Medicine well in English! Unless you possess both lang. to a very high degree.
    For residency directors in US you are an IMG no matter where you go. So, having done clinicals in US (as "beach" schools allow) will help in obtaining desirable resid. spot.
    If you have Q's you can e-mail me [email protected]
    Peace!

6. Hirurg

Hirurg Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Just to make things clear...I think St. Petersburg is much better, since 1st Med. exists in both cities.
    I think this was not clear from the above post.
    Anyway, that is my opinion!