Medicine Rotation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GrandMasterB

Big Poppa Pump
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys. I am about 2 weeks out from my shelf and I basically haven't done any reading. Any ideas on which question books are most representative? Also is doing just questions my best option at this point?

Members don't see this ad.

I would recc reading "Current medical diagnosis and treatment" to w/u any patients you are assigned. Don't just copy the intern's assessment and plan, you should be trying to make your own and then comparing what you wrote to what he/she put. In your spare time, I'd read "blueprints" cover to cover, then do the questions at the end. After you finish doing that, I'd recc doing all of the questions in "Pretest". I wrote a little about this in my "Internal medicine FAQ", you can find it in the internal medicine forum.

I think First Aid for the Medicine Clerkship is more complete than Blueprints but still quite manageable in the amount of time you have. It does a good job pinpointing the key and testable concepts for each subject. And do lots of questions- I agree that pretest is pretty good. Some people may suggest Harrison's but I recommend staying away from that-- much more advanced than the shelf. Obviously reading Current for just the patients that you have had will not prepare you for the shelf very well.

Good luck and study hard!