Medicine School IS NOT FOR ME. CRAP...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MrDreamWeaver

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
After getting solid grades (3.8 GPA) in all my classes (including all pre-med classes -- bio/chem/physics/etc), I've made the most important decision of my life: medicine is probably not for me. Notice the "probably?" -- I'm still not 100% sure because the decision is so freaking big.

It's weird how things turn out, you know? I was totally 100% set on being a doctor for the past 3 years, but January of this year I started to re-think my decision. All my friends are off to big firms after college. They'll start by making a solid $60,000. In a few years they will be up to at least $100,000. This seems much more appealing to me. Why would I want to "waste" away the prime years of my life engulfed in books? Instead, I could be sitting in a nice office, party on weekends, and enjoy my life WHILE making good money. However, unfortunately this business ideal isn't going to work for me, and I'll tell you why.

I'm a UCSB student on a full scholarship. I should have went to UCLA instead and done business, summer internships, etc -- then I'd have a nice job waiting for me after graduation. Although a good school, UCSB isn't nationally known and employers certainly don't regard it to be on par with UCLA. Further, I've done all the pre-med stuff that really doesn't help me in business: hospital volunteer work, no internships, some research, etc. As such, I definitely DO NOT have any edge in the business world. So where do I go from here?

It seems like the most logical direction for me is Dentistry. I'll tell you why. I obviously do enjoy science and medicine, but certainly not to the extent of dedicating my life to it. Dentistry offers the medicine/science subspeciality while incorporating business into it. Plus a hefty pay check is clearly desirable. In addition, the next 4 years of my life won't be as brutal at all, and I can enjoy my prime years. Perhaps I can use my money from dentistry to invest (real estate, stocks, whatever) and do BOTH dentistry and business. Like I said, this seems like the most logical way for me to be successful in my current situation.

Thanks... I'm kind of numbed by this decision. It's been a tough road and I always told myself I would never quit. I guess this isn't really quitting. I know I could do it, I just don't think it's for me.

Any opinions/advice/comments would be great.

Members don't see this ad.

$ = success :scared:

From someone who has worked in a firm after school, it's not the party that you might think it is. Real life sucks, man. It'll never be like college again.

Sure, you might make more money in the long run, but what happens when you have 5 kids and a mortgage and get laid off? Corporate world is brutal - just my $.02. Pro's and con's to each. You might want to take a look at both sides before you make any decisions.

If you're thinking of not going because of the $$, I say don't go. You're obviously not that into it anyways.

Members don't see this ad :)
After getting solid grades (3.8 GPA) in all my classes (including all pre-med classes -- bio/chem/physics/etc), I've made the most important decision of my life: medicine is probably not for me. Notice the "probably?" -- I'm still not 100% sure because the decision is so freaking big.

It's weird how things turn out, you know? I was totally 100% set on being a doctor for the past 3 years, but January of this year I started to re-think my decision. All my friends are off to big firms after college. They'll start by making a solid $60,000. In a few years they will be up to at least $100,000. This seems much more appealing to me. Why would I want to "waste" away the prime years of my life engulfed in books? Instead, I could be sitting in a nice office, party on weekends, and enjoy my life WHILE making good money. However, unfortunately this business ideal isn't going to work for me, and I'll tell you why.

I'm a UCSB student on a full scholarship. I should have went to UCLA instead and done business, summer internships, etc -- then I'd have a nice job waiting for me after graduation. Although a good school, UCSB isn't nationally known and employers certainly don't regard it to be on par with UCLA. Further, I've done all the pre-med stuff that really doesn't help me in business: hospital volunteer work, no internships, some research, etc. As such, I definitely DO NOT have any edge in the business world. So where do I go from here?

It seems like the most logical direction for me is Dentistry. I'll tell you why. I obviously do enjoy science and medicine, but certainly not to the extent of dedicating my life to it. Dentistry offers the medicine/science subspeciality while incorporating business into it. Plus a hefty pay check is clearly desirable. In addition, the next 4 years of my life won't be as brutal at all, and I can enjoy my prime years. Perhaps I can use my money from dentistry to invest (real estate, stocks, whatever) and do BOTH dentistry and business. Like I said, this seems like the most logical way for me to be successful in my current situation.

Thanks... I'm kind of numbed by this decision. It's been a tough road and I always told myself I would never quit. I guess this isn't really quitting. I know I could do it, I just don't think it's for me.

If you think you wont have to dedicate your life to being a dentist than you've got another thing coming to you! :laugh:

If you decide later you want to go into medicine it will always be there. If you are more excited about dentistry or business, then med school would be a bad choice at this juncture. Absolutely don't go down this road if you aren't prepared to invest the bulk of your time to it for the next decade plus.

I somewhat disagree with the prior poster that real life necessarilly sucks -- you will come across many many people who love what they do in every field-- but the caveat is that you really have to find something to do that you enjoy. If you hate going to work at your chosen vocation each morning, no amount of paycheck will make it better. Good luck in whatever direction you have chosen.

Reactions: 1 user
You might be able to start making $$ and party on weekends, but eventually everyone else is going to settle down, get married, and it won't be as great as it seems.

Do what you feel will let you enjoy life the most. It's short!

You also have to factor in the uncertainty factor. As Mastac741 pointed out, firings, layoffs, etc. are all possibilities. You will always hear wonder stories of people going into business instead of medicine and making bank and never regretting their decision.
What you don't hear are the people that decide on the business route, end up busting their ass 6 days/week, 12 hours/day to get ahead. You won't start out in a cushy office with a secretary making $100k. You'll start out being somebody's bitch and having to kiss ass 24/7 to make your way up.

Granted, in residency, you'll be busting your ass but you always have the "light at the end of the tunnel" to look forward to, post-residency/fellowship.

One option could be to go to business school and get your master's in Health Administration or MPH (Master's of Public Health). You could get your business "fix" and your health interest "fix" in a combination career. OR apply to MD/MBA programs. That might be right up your alley.

Someone gave me some great advice once. It was....

If you can see yourself doing something else besides medicine, then you need to do that instead.

This person was pre-med, got accepted, and then turned it down. He has MANY friends who ended up in med school even though they could see themselves doing something else. They either A) dropped out because they hated it B) dropped out because not only did they hate it, but their grades reflected that C) Went through with it and are now completely miserable.

Do whatever you feel like in your heart. What could you see yourself doing for the next 30+ years? If it is not medicine, then seriously reconsider your options (which it sounds like you are doing).

Good luck.

Private practice dentistry seems like a great way for you to go (Medicine/Science/Business). If you have good business sense, you definitely have the propensity to make some money, but be cautious-- don't think dental school will be THAT easy...

No worries if medicine isn't for you... maybe you got railroaded by family or society into thinking MD MD MD! Best you realize it now than after being unhappy in practice for 20 years.

Man down! Dentistry claims another victim.

All my friends are off to big firms after college. They'll start by making a solid $60,000.
Beware of how much money looks like when you're a student. My last secretary made $50K. It's a nice living, but nothing to change you future over.
In a few years they will be up to at least $100,000. This seems much more appealing to me. Why would I want to "waste" away the prime years of my life engulfed in books? Instead, I could be sitting in a nice office, party on weekends, and enjoy my life WHILE making good money.
The thing about those jobs is that they can lead up to $90-100K/yr before you know it, but to get beyond it, you really need to work you tail off. To keep climbing, you're working late nights and weekends. And if you don't keep climbing, you'll soon be shown the door.

Not saying that a corporate wheel is going to put in the same hours as a resident, but it ain't a 40 hour/week job.

I can't dog Dentistry - it's a good field, but personally I'd kill myself if I had to stare at teeth all day (but that's just me).

I majored in business and did that whole route - would not recommend it. Now going to med school.

I have a friend who was in a similar situation. He studying like crazy, did great on his pre-reqs, took the MCAT twice, and got accepted to med school. He decided halfway through his first year it wasn't for him, and quit and went "the business route"

He's now a real-estate broker - living in a crappy apartment with 3 roommates. That was 5 years after he quit. Everyone else in his med school class are residents and actually have a career.

Pretty stupid move in my opinion, but what do I know.

Op you need to be carefull with the whole "make money without working hard" attitude. If it easy, then everyone will be doing it. If everyone is doing it, you wont make too much money. Get ready to work hard regardless. I am out hustling with cooprate America right now, and I can tell you there are no free handouts IMO.

Members don't see this ad :)
op you obviously do not have the will or the burning desire to practice medicine. you should go into a more ordinary type of career such as pharmacy,law, or dentistry. The competition will be less fierce and probably more suited to your needs

Beware of how much money looks like when you're a student. My last secretary made $50K. It's a nice living, but nothing to change you future over.

The thing about those jobs is that they can lead up to $90-100K/yr before you know it, but to get beyond it, you really need to work you tail off. To keep climbing, you're working late nights and weekends. And if you don't keep climbing, you'll soon be shown the door.

Not saying that a corporate wheel is going to put in the same hours as a resident, but it ain't a 40 hour/week job.

I personally feel it's a really bad idea to try and talk someone back into medicine who has already expressed reservations. Medicine is something folks in the field regularly caution you to be really really sure about, because it's absolutely not for everybody. You'd be surprised how many folks in first year go through serious angst wondering if they made a stupid decision. About 4.5% drop out, and another who knows how many percent push on into a career that will bring them no pleasure. Make sure you are not in either of these groups, or don't go down this road.

op you obviously do not have the will or the burning desire to practice medicine. you should go into a more ordinary type of career such as pharmacy,law, or dentistry. The competition will be less fierce and probably more suited to your needs

You will find enough competition there.

I worked for a couple of years after graduation before deciding on med school. If you aren't sure about med school, don't do it just yet. I also wouldn't suggest diving into dental school because it also is a huge commitment. Why don't you try working for a year? With a solid GPA, you should a job somewhere.

I started out of college $50+/yr and that was four years back. It's not all that big. I'm not sure why people on SDN thinks that people will go from $50k to $100k "within a few years" while "partying on the weekends" because my experience with corporate America says you can either "party on the weekends" OR "make $100k in a few years", but it's rare to do BOTH at the same time this early in your corporate career. What I mean is that in order to get that six figure paycheck in corporate, you will have to work hard for it too. And this means working in the evenings, on the weekends, coming in when your boss asks you to and bringing your work home. Unless you live in the SanFran/NY/Boston level of cities, a six figure salary as a young college grad is not easy to come by. You get it by working hard. REAL 9-5 jobs tend to stay stagnant in terms of pay, not doubling paychecks within a few years.

Dentistry may be a better option for you but also remember that in order to be successful, you will also start out working hard. I don't know any business that doesn't require people to pay their dues sometime in their career. Your interest in science and business can be combined in dentistry but you need make sure you can see yourself doing this for years to come. Perhaps doing some research in that area would be helpful.

It just sounds to me like you want something 'easy' and you figure that your business friends may have just that, without having to go through four more years of school plus residency and you figure that dentistry is like an abbreviated med school route with financial renumerations. But there is not 'easy' way to make money. Unless you were born rich, the only other (legal) way to make a lot of money is to work for it, and that takes hard work....no matter what career you go into.

nothing compares to the competition and dedication of medical school

Please. The only thing medicine has a monopoly on is this egocentric view of how much harder and more dedicated they are. There are people who are uber smart, work hard, compete, and play to win in every field. :)

Reactions: 1 users
nothing compares to the competition and dedication of medical school

I know nothing compares to the amount of meaningless sufering that goes on in medicine, but I am sure there are other competitive fields out there that require a lot of dedication.

You ruined my snarky comment, OP. I was expecting this to be a "I didn't get in anywhere" thread and my comeback was going to be "Maybe you should have said you wanted to go to medical school on your application."

You ruined my snarky comment, OP. I was expecting this to be a "I didn't get in anywhere" thread and my comeback was going to be "Maybe you should have said you wanted to go to medical school on your application."
:laugh::laugh:

Refreshing change isn't it? Cynical before reading more than the thread title means one spends too much time on SDN... :smuggrin:

I personally feel it's a really bad idea to try and talk someone back into medicine who has already expressed reservations.
Hmmm... Sorry if my post read that way. I'm just trying to clue the OP in that the grass always looks greener on the other side and cubeland is not all it's built up to be. I didn't mean to convince him to go for an MD. Personally, I would advise no one to pursue medicine unless they're sure it's what they want.

Medical school is a whole lot of time and money. With minimal prep, anyone can take a year or two to play businessperson, as you're not acquiring any debt. Not true for medical school.

OP- If you aren't sure medicine is right for you, wait until you are. And if you're seriously kicking around career paths as different as the ones you're talking about, I'd definitely give it a year or two.

BTW, depending on how you define the word "grass", it could in fact be greener on the other side. If being able to sleep, and not getting sued at your place of work is what you call "grass", then you better jump to the other side.

If being able to sleep, and not getting sued at your place of work is what you call "grass", then you better jump to the other side.
Getting sued sucks, but god knows it's not limited to doctors. Lawyers get sued a heck of a lot as well. And I'd only sweat the lack of sleep for residency. After that, it's up to you.

BTW, depending on how you define the word "grass", it could in fact be greener on the other side. If being able to sleep, and not getting sued at your place of work is what you call "grass", then you better jump to the other side.

Ever seen "Office Space"? :laugh:

As a lawyer working on business deals, I can assure you that businessmen get sued quite frequently and significantly. A deep pocket is a deep pocket. If you don't want to get sued, stay broke.

In general, I agree that if the grass is greener on the other side of the fence, it's usually means you are going to find more manure there.

As a lawyer working on business deals, I can assure you that businessmen get sued quite frequently and significantly. A deep pocket is a deep pocket. If you don't want to get sued, stay broke.

In general, I agree that if the grass is greener on the other side of the fence, it's usually means you are going to find more manure there.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

OP: I think everyone has doubts from time to time about medical school. But before you write medical school off, make sure it's really not for you rather than just cold feet.

Just about every person on this forum, or even on this site has been at this crossroads. But just to different degrees. There may be a few that haven't. Personally, I think that if a person has not been to this point there is a problem. Think about it. If you have not sat down and seriously thought about whether or not this was for you that could be a problem. If you have not ever doubted yourself that could be a problem. If you have never thought about other professions up to this point that could be a problem. Just think, what would it be like if these questions or feelings came at a critical time. Like when you have already finished medical school, and you have a family and you want to change professions. Or what if you have never faced a challenge that caused you to question your ability, desire, motivation or passion. What if this happens and you just don't know how to get back up or stay in the game. I believe that it is important to have these feelings. If you do not give this much thought to the things that are most important to you than how important are they. Carrer choice was one of the most important decisions for me right behind choosing to be baptized into the Church of Chirst, and choosing my spouse. I know that every one has there list of priorities but this is how they rank on my list. I gave these things a lot of thought, and I prayed about them a lot, and I got to know myself, and did some research. After this I was able to make an honest committed decision. Yes, I realized that in order to do anything in this life (worthwhile) I need Jesus, I also realized that I would never find a woman as outstanding and committed (and she is beautiful) than the woman I married 3 1/2 years ago, and I also realized that I could not see myself doing anythings besides medicine (specifically a clinician). Whenever I thought about changing carrers it was because of self doubt, or because something seemed like it would be long and hard. Well, with those three things that I listed above, I will let you know that living the life of a Christian isn't easy, I am sure that you know that marriage isn't easy, and medical school isn't easy (but personally, I don't think it will be as difficult as either of the aforementioned things). Anyway, I think you should take your time when making the decision. I am not saying hurry up and make the decision, take the time you need. But use that time to examine yourself, and your motives, desires, needs, passion and so on. I hope that you end up doing what you enjoy doing. Whether its med. dentistry, business, being a teacher, police officer, nurses aide or whatever. Just realize that if you want to be good at whatever you end up doing, and if you want to make a difference in this world, you will have to bust your butt. You will have some peaks and valleys. All of this is just my opinion. But I hope it helps.

Sounds like if the OPs concerns are more for cash and chill time and those worries predominate, then no... a lifetime dedicated to healing is probably not the best thing. You've probably made the right decision.

Agree with the poster who said med school isn't going anywhere. Why not take a year without any 'career plan' at all -- no business, no medicine, no dentistry, no law? Just do something to pay the bills while you take some time to sort out what really interests you. There seems to be a lot of pressure on people just coming out of undergrad to have their whole life planned out by the time of graduation. It doesn't have to be this way. Sure, some people know from the womb what it is they want to do, but other people naturally take a little more time to figure it out. A year (or even two) is nothing in the scheme of things. Give yourself permission NOT to make a decision for a while and see where your interests take you.

You definitely have to get your priorities straight.

Just about every person on this forum, or even on this site has been at this crossroads. But just to different degrees. There may be a few that haven't. Personally, I think that if a person has not been to this point there is a problem. Think about it. If you have not sat down and seriously thought about whether or not this was for you that could be a problem. If you have not ever doubted yourself that could be a problem. If you have never thought about other professions up to this point that could be a problem. Just think, what would it be like if these questions or feelings came at a critical time. Like when you have already finished medical school, and you have a family and you want to change professions. Or what if you have never faced a challenge that caused you to question your ability, desire, motivation or passion. What if this happens and you just don't know how to get back up or stay in the game. I believe that it is important to have these feelings. If you do not give this much thought to the things that are most important to you than how important are they. Carrer choice was one of the most important decisions for me right behind choosing to be baptized into the Church of Chirst, and choosing my spouse. I know that every one has there list of priorities but this is how they rank on my list. I gave these things a lot of thought, and I prayed about them a lot, and I got to know myself, and did some research. After this I was able to make an honest committed decision. Yes, I realized that in order to do anything in this life (worthwhile) I need Jesus, I also realized that I would never find a woman as outstanding and committed (and she is beautiful) than the woman I married 3 1/2 years ago, and I also realized that I could not see myself doing anythings besides medicine (specifically a clinician). Whenever I thought about changing carrers it was because of self doubt, or because something seemed like it would be long and hard. Well, with those three things that I listed above, I will let you know that living the life of a Christian isn't easy, I am sure that you know that marriage isn't easy, and medical school isn't easy (but personally, I don't think it will be as difficult as either of the aforementioned things). Anyway, I think you should take your time when making the decision. I am not saying hurry up and make the decision, take the time you need. But use that time to examine yourself, and your motives, desires, needs, passion and so on. I hope that you end up doing what you enjoy doing. Whether its med. dentistry, business, being a teacher, police officer, nurses aide or whatever. Just realize that if you want to be good at whatever you end up doing, and if you want to make a difference in this world, you will have to bust your butt. You will have some peaks and valleys. All of this is just my opinion. But I hope it helps.

Please learn to use your enter key. The first part of your post was great and then my eyes died from lack of white space.

You make "real life" sound like college. That is not the way it is. What a bad reason to change your mind.

Alright fellow SDNers, I appreciate the informative replies! Right now I'm thinking that I should take both the MCAT and DAT this summer, take a year off and work a "regular job" or at a firm, then if I decide medicine or dentistry is really my calling, go for it. I don't know though, this route seems pretty logical.

Mastac741 - Thanks for sharing your firm experience. Corporate world is very brutal, you're absolutely right. I guess someone always has you by neck.
WantsThisBad - I get the impression that dentistry is much easier than medicine. The hours are typically better (most dentists work about 4days/week) and school isn't as long. It seems like a logical way to make $ and be successful while incorporating my desire for health/business
Law2Doc - Thank you. Actually, dentistry, business and medicine are all on my top list. I don't really know where to go from here because I've been at this crossroad for so long and haven't progressed anywhere. I really don't want to take another step until I know exactly what I want. And since I have no clue, I'm lost!
Sunshine - Many doctors have told me they lost their "prime" in med school. However, others say if you manage your time well you can have all the fun your mind desires. It's well known that med school is no cake walk. I have passion for medicine but I'm clearly more passionate about my personal life. This is primarily why I started to re-think medical school.
Xucardsfan08 - Yeah you're right. My dad always told me that no matter what I do I'm going to have to be dedicated and competitive. Good point.
AGDJenni - Hmmm... that makes it seem like medicine is a last resort. On the flip side, perhaps he means don't do it unless you're 200% passionate about it and absolutely cannot do anything else? Interesting. Where did he end up?
AtreyuRocks - I'm sure the family pressure was a huge part of my decision. But my motivation to study on weekend nights and do well in every single class was rooted from something deeper. I can honestly say that, at one point, I was absolutely 100% passionate about medicine. Things change though. After considering some other options, I'm a bit weary about med now.
Notdeadyet - Interesting point. I understand it's going to be tough either way, but medicine seems like a much larger committment than a corporate job. I like to stay flexible which is not really possible as a doc.
Mastac741 - You're right. I couldn't see myself staring at teeth all day either, but there are other specialities in dentistry that allow you to do more than just clean them up. You said you majored in business. Did you get a job when you graduated? Why did you switch? This would help me a bunch! Your friend's story is scary.
Dutchman - I plan on working hard no matter where I end up. Can you explain more about your experience with corporate America?
NonTradMed - Thanks for the business input. I'm glad I can get some opinions from someone who has done BOTH business and medicine. It helps A LOT. Would you mind explaining why you ditched corporate America for medicine? Did you like business? Etc... Your advice is very valuable!
SDouglas - Your post is an abbreviated version of PRIMER. And it makes absolute sense.
PRIMER - Good input. It's so difficult to pick a career path right now. At 21, how are we supposed to know that we want to dedicate the rest of our life to medicine? That's what truly scares me. Business seems more flexible but, as others mentioned, can be brutal (non-stable).
TexasBoy - I value my free time more than anything. I'd like to have a family that I can dedicate time to.
Tired Pigeon - A year off is a great idea. I might just do that. You know, just move somewhere and work as a regular person in some random job for a couple months.
Mikkey - What do you mean? My priority is free time that I plan on dedicating to my family when i'm older, having fun with friends in my prime, etc. I take school and work very seriously.
Mr. Itchy - Maybe I came off the wrong way. As I said to the others, free time is very important for me because I do plan on having a family, intend on spending time with friends, etc. I'm not going to lie about the money situation either... I need a high-paying job regardless of what I end up doing. No matter what I do I will work very hard for it, I'm a very motivated person.

2 points.

1) i agree with law2doc. If you're not sure, there's no reason you have to go into medicine now. even though you may have no job experience now, you can take 3 years to move yourself up into a solid job in the private sector and judge for yourself. Your 3.8 will still be there if you decide you want to do medicine.

2) i hold that you can't be even remotely close to sure that med school is the right thing for you until you are already in your 3rd year of med school. I think that unlike most people, I was only about 70% sure about it, and based on my first year (admittedly unrepresentatve of what ill be doing long term), i am actually more sure that i made the right decision than when i matriculated. I don't think you can be COMPLETELY sure until you are an attending and peoples' lives hinge on your decisions.

i had similar sentiments to you. I feel better about it now then I did then. It may not be the same way for you, but don't expect that you will feel 100% sure going in. At the same time, don't be afraid to take a couple years off to see if the private sector is as great as you have been led to believe.

Sounds like a great plan! Work a while and get your bearings and then you can proceed with much more confidence than you have now.:luck:

As a doctor you can work in the hospital... As a dentist, get ready to buy a million dollar practice...

I totally agree, medicine school is not for me either, who wants to push pills all day? (Note to OP: in the U.S. it's called pharmacy school). I'm sorry that none of the other posters read between the lines.

Medical School on the other hand is a dream come true!

The corporate world sucks ass...I worked for Bank of America for 6 years (and my last 2 years i was in corporate, not the branch), and I can tell you that if you really want to move up, you will put in just as much work as a doctor, if not more. You have to an unbelievable amount of ass kissing and the pressure is incredible. If you aren't improving your numbers every year, then you will be replaced. You have to be a shark to be in the corporate world. I love how people on this site talk about being an investment banker like it's the easiest thing in the world. I'll tell you right now..its way harder to make a killing in investment banking than getting into medical school. About 99% of the people out there just don't have the personality for it.

It's funny...I look at some younger applicants and just shake my head...some of you guys have honestly never been in the real world.

I love people who argue for the dentistry route because its easier and more lucrative. My old roommate's dad was a dentist and he said to make real money, you need to open up your own practice. Working for someone else will never allow you to top over 100 K per year according to him. Well guess what....to open your own practice you need money, and lots of it. Of course you can get loans, but doesn't that defeat the purpose of being a dentist? Don't you want to enjoy your prime? I have buddies who just finished dental school and they are making about 60-70K, but they are putting away half of it in order to open an office. Leaving them with about 40 to 50K...HMMM..working the first few years of career for less pay...sound familiar??? True they don't work the hours of a resident, but they still are at the bottom of the pecking order and work more than anyone else at their offices.

Face facts...there are very few jobs that will pay you 100K + in your 20's or early 30's. You have to be established in your career and to do that you need to work your tail off.

I think if more docs spent times in other careers they would be so much more grateful. The problem is you have 21 year olds who go straight from college to med school and then cry about wasted youth and think for some reason that every other profession is less time consuming and more lucrative.

grow up

Wow, how'd you manage to get banned within 75 minutes of your first post ever? this must be a new record for getting banned...

damn that medicine school

The corporate world sucks ass...I worked for Bank of America for 6 years (and my last 2 years i was in corporate, not the branch), and I can tell you that if you really want to move up, you will put in just as much work as a doctor, if not more. You have to an unbelievable amount of ass kissing and the pressure is incredible. If you aren't improving your numbers every year, then you will be replaced. You have to be a shark to be in the corporate world. I love how people on this site talk about being an investment banker like it's the easiest thing in the world. I'll tell you right now..its way harder to make a killing in investment banking than getting into medical school. About 99% of the people out there just don't have the personality for it.

It's funny...I look at some younger applicants and just shake my head...some of you guys have honestly never been in the real world.

I love people who argue for the dentistry route because its easier and more lucrative. My old roommate's dad was a dentist and he said to make real money, you need to open up your own practice. Working for someone else will never allow you to top over 100 K per year according to him. Well guess what....to open your own practice you need money, and lots of it. Of course you can get loans, but doesn't that defeat the purpose of being a dentist? Don't you want to enjoy your prime? I have buddies who just finished dental school and they are making about 60-70K, but they are putting away half of it in order to open an office. Leaving them with about 40 to 50K...HMMM..working the first few years of career for less pay...sound familiar??? True they don't work the hours of a resident, but they still are at the bottom of the pecking order and work more than anyone else at their offices.

Face facts...there are very few jobs that will pay you 100K + in your 20's or early 30's. You have to be established in your career and to do that you need to work your tail off.

I think if more docs spent times in other careers they would be so much more grateful. The problem is you have 21 year olds who go straight from college to med school and then cry about wasted youth and think for some reason that every other profession is less time consuming and more lucrative.

grow up
You have a great point, but you should understand that as a 21y/o how are we possibly supposed to know other walks of life? In fact, I think my post implies that I'm open to other professions, and I'm looking for information regarding them -- something that not many 21y/o do.

What do you think about getting a consulting gig at a big firm for 2 years, then going elsewhere? A few of my friends are doing this and it seems like a good route.

I totally agree, medicine school is not for me either, who wants to push pills all day? (Note to OP: in the U.S. it's called pharmacy school). I'm sorry that none of the other posters read between the lines.

Medical School on the other hand is a dream come true!

... Are you always an dingus to strangers? Thanks for perpetuating the the pre-med stereotype.

... Are you always an dingus to strangers? Thanks for perpetuating the the pre-med stereotype.

Whoa, who's being the jerk to strangers? Look in the mirror, chief. I can't believe you think Dental School won't be brutal at all. Have you talked to any dentists? And you think dentistry as a profession is a cakewalk? Puhlease. There is a reason dentists have a higher suicide rate than physicians. Both professions are demanding on personal time and you won't get out of dental school and make loads of cash either. Don't be fooled by dentists with large mansions and sweet boats, most are up to their necks in debt. And don't call people names.

You have a great point, but you should understand that as a 21y/o how are we possibly supposed to know other walks of life? In fact, I think my post implies that I'm open to other professions, and I'm looking for information regarding them -- something that not many 21y/o do.

What do you think about getting a consulting gig at a big firm for 2 years, then going elsewhere? A few of my friends are doing this and it seems like a good route.

sorry if I came off as an ass...I wasn't aiming my rant at you specifically....it's great that at 21 your looking for info...I did the same thing and found out that no matter what I did, if I wanted to make big money I would have to work long hours and really hard...so I might as well do something that I love.

The thing about consulting firms is that most consultants who make big money usually have experience in their field....it is tough for students fresh out of college who have little or no experience to really to make good money.

its cool if you wanna make 40-60 K per year but again, really tough if you don't put in the work.

Looks to me like you want to find the job where you can make the most money with the least amount of work. There is nothing wrong with that...I think everyone thinks like that deep down inside....but the reality is that most jobs will only yield you high paychecks if you put in big hours and work.
If you really want to be rich without working hard start coming up with a long term plan of how to invest your money in various businesses and other holdings and have your money start working with for you.

As far as a career goes, don't worry so much about the money and hours in a job...professionals who are good at what they do make plenty of money...do what you truly think you will love doing.