medicine shelf exam?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
A

abc56

so ive been told that the "case files" series is very good and so far im liking it. do you think using this along with pretest is enough to study for the shelf? do i HAVE to read blueprints? it seems so DULL!

any advice people?

thanks!
abc

Members don't see this ad.

abc56 said:
so ive been told that the "case files" series is very good and so far im liking it. do you think using this along with pretest is enough to study for the shelf? do i HAVE to read blueprints? it seems so DULL!

any advice people?

thanks!
abc

pretest is a waste, it is way too simple for the shelf. do MKSAP for questions. i used case files for each shelf, i really like that series. i had step up to medicine and went through some of it. but mksap for questions would be my recommendation

I really liked First Aid for Medicine in place of Blueprints. I have heard good things about step-up as well. I used MKSAP and Pre-Test. Pre-Test is easier than the real thing, but I also think the more questions you do, the better.

Case Files, in my opinion is really good for cementing concepts and how to think about presentations, but I would use it in addition to something like blueprints and MKSAP, especially if medicine is one of your first rotations ever. I used Case Files only for my second medicine rotation, which worked out really well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Largely concur with Jojo. I would trash the Blueprints and Pretest, especially if you don't like it. Big fan of the First Aid and MKSAP II/III combo. Case Files is OK, but those other two sources cover what's in it; if you like the format, though, stick with it. It won't cover everything on the shelf, but everything in it is worth knowing. Other good introductory sources for Internal Med are Boards and Wards and Step 2 Secrets.

abc56 said:

any advice people?

thanks!
abc

Case Files is great. PreTest is okay. Don't bother with blueprints but you do need to do MKSAP.

Step Up Medicine--for hard core studying & memorization
MKSAP--for shelf practice
Case Files--for extra reading and presentation ideas

Those three are the best stuff out there right now.