medicine sub-i important?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

avgjoe

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it? Should one do it before applications go in for gsurg or does it not matter?

Members don't see this ad.

I applied for gs this year and haven't done my med subI yet (starts in April)....i don't think it is that important (heck i'm only doing it because it is required for graduation) as far as applications are considered, esp. when compared with your surg subI or SICU months. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
So then .. which electives besides the surgery sub-i's and maybe ICU do you look at? We'll be doing two-three other months of electives besides those before applications, so I'm trying to figure out what to put there and how much they matter - radiology? EM? Thanks!

avgjoe said:
So then .. which electives besides the surgery sub-i's and maybe ICU do you look at? We'll be doing two-three other months of electives besides those before applications, so I'm trying to figure out what to put there and how much they matter - radiology? EM? Thanks!

the answer lies in your final question - how much do they matter? Not much. Frankly, the vast majority of your application's significance is based on your USMLE scores, LORs, class rank, grades and personal statement. While we might look at the electives you've done for something to talk about during an interview, it doesn't make much difference when it comes down to ranking candidates. Take whatever interests you or you think will help you in the future as it will be your last time; electives really don't play a significant role in residency candidacy.