Medicine Sub-Internship NBME shelf exam (advanced clinical exam)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Somedaydoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I wasn't able to find an answer in another forum, which I think is mostly folks who are still M3's. So I was wondering if anyone has taken the NBME Advanced Clinical Examination in Internal Medicine (MS4 shelf exam for the Medicine Sub-I). I found it mentioned in other threads but no one had any real info on it. My question is: is this exam more like Step 3 or like Step 2 CK? The NBME website says that it will use the "F-Type" questions which are the "unfolding" scenarios on patient care (sounds like the CCS part of Step 3) but I'm not sure if the rest of the questions are more like Step 3 or Step 2. In short, what should I use to study? I'm planning on using usmle world qbank but didn't know which one I should buy. Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

I wasn't able to find an answer in another forum, which I think is mostly folks who are still M3's. So I was wondering if anyone has taken the NBME Advanced Clinical Examination in Internal Medicine (MS4 shelf exam for the Medicine Sub-I). I found it mentioned in other threads but no one had any real info on it. My question is: is this exam more like Step 3 or like Step 2 CK? The NBME website says that it will use the "F-Type" questions which are the "unfolding" scenarios on patient care (sounds like the CCS part of Step 3) but I'm not sure if the rest of the questions are more like Step 3 or Step 2. In short, what should I use to study? I'm planning on using usmle world qbank but didn't know which one I should buy. Thanks so much!

I didn't take that test. Is it a new one?

Hey guys,

Yeah, I took it at the end of my Sub-I (middle of November). I took Step 2 CK at the end of August. I didn't study during my Sub-I for the test (too busy and frankly too lazy). Ended up scoring in the mid-80s on the test, which I was thrilled about since I thought I failed it or nearly failed it. It was similar to Step 2 CK in my opinion. If you took Step 2 recently, you'll be fine. Even if you took Step 2 a few months ago and actually paid attention during your Sub-I you'll be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

Don't waste your time going through 500 IM qbank questions...I would recommend instead that you burn through MKSAP for med students. It's probably on version 5 or 6 by now. There are fewer questions in the MKSAP but it is much higher yield. It is written by the American College of Physicians for subI caliber decision making.

Disclaimer: I've never heard of the test you're talking about.

http://www.amazon.com/MKSAP®-Students-5-Mksap/dp/1934465542

There you go...apparently hot off the press. Refer to the reviews for the 4th edition.

Yeah, I used that question book for my M3 Int Med rotation. I think we had an computer version that was making the rounds at my school. Anyways, like I wrote above, I didn't study for the Sub-I exam. I actually did start freaking out about it 2 days before my exam but decided it was worthless to start studying that late anyways. I just prayed I passed and according to our Medicine program coordinator, no one has failed the exam at our school....so far.