Medicine subI ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

7abiby

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
We have a pretty short medicine and surgery rotation at my school (4 weeks each). I'm almost 100% sure I'll be applying to general surgery. Would you recommend that I do a subI in medicine in addition to the two surgery subIs I was planning on doing or would that be overkill? Thanks in advance,

Members don't see this ad.

4 weeks of medicine? That's all? lucky you man! I had to put up with that garbage specialty for 12 weeks plus a mandatory 4 week medicine sub I plus a mandatory peds sub I rotation. Personally, I would rather smash my testes repeatedly over and over again with a melting hot sledgehammer for a month than do another day in internal medicine. But that's just me.

only 4 weeks of medicine as core?
you are the luckiest person alive

Members don't see this ad :)
only 4 weeks of medicine as core?
you are the luckiest person alive

Maybe he has to do 18 weeks of FM to fill the gap.:scared:

Anyway, does that 4 weeks even meet AAMC standards? For some reason I thought you had to have at least 6 weeks...are you doing any Medicine subspecialties which would count?

If you feel like you could learn some more Medicine, it wouldn't hurt to do the Sub-I (well, except for having to do Medicine for 4 more weeks) and could be helpful, but not for your application (ie, helpful in the sense of knowing more medical management).

wow. Only 4 weeks of internal med during 3rd year?!
That's incredible. I'm biased 'cause I'm a medicine doc, but I really, really think you need to do more medicine as a 4th year. It will help you in the future, even if you become a surgeon. A sub-I would be fine...if you think you'll be burned out after your surgery sub-I's, then wait a few months and do it later in your 4th year. Alternately, you could do a medical ICU month. I never did MICU or SICU as a 4th year student, and I actually think that was really bad...I mean, it would have definitely helped me when I was an intern. It's helpful to see how other specialties think and do things...and once you are a resident you won't have the opportunity (unless doing ER or family med or anesthesia, where you rotate on different services).

Thanks for the input guys. Yeah I know it's a little shocking. I think having a short IM rotation is good for those who know they don't want to go into it. I guess you can always do subIs if you are interested in IM. Most people who are doing radiology, anesthesia, and other subspecialities end up doing a subI in IM. I'm not sure how that works with AAMC though. It's been this way for a while though so I guess we're fine.

The idea of doing a medical ICU month sounds appealing though. My feeling is that if I push off doing the subI in medicine till later in the year I might get lazy.