Medicine Vs. Dentistry: Give It Your Best Shot

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunmoon6689

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been struggling to decide between the fields of Dentistry and Medicine. I was wondering if people could give me their honest opinions regarding the positives and negatives of each profession. I do not intend for this to be a bashing session of one profession or another, but instead a respectable debate regarding two great career options. I would appreciate all constructive feedback. Thank you very much.

Members don't see this ad.

Have you shadowed both?

This is a decision I faced too...just comes to personal choice...I felt I had to go for it with Med...I never saw myself as a dentist, but then again, I never got to the shadowing step, even though my buddy that's a dentist told me to go dental all the way for variouis reasons.

I have been struggling to decide between the fields of Dentistry and Medicine. I was wondering if people could give me their honest opinions regarding the positives and negatives of each profession. I do not intend for this to be a bashing session of one profession or another, but instead a respectable debate regarding two great career options. I would appreciate all constructive feedback. Thank you very much.

Unfortunately, I don't think these questions ever become a "respectable debate", even though you really tried and asked it in a pretty benign way.

If you are inbetween both careers you really have to shadow both and see which one "feels" best to you. We could go back and forth FOREVER over pros and cons but the fact is that if you feel strongly enough about one side -- because of a gut feeling -- you're going to emphasize the pros and play down the cons of either choice.

In the broadest way possible, I'll put it like this:

I'm choosing medicine because I like the atmosphere and the focus. I'm excited about it, even now after three years of pursuing it. I know the pros and the cons and I still want to do it. It's just a part of who I am now.

I totally respect my pre-dental friends. But at the same time, I personally don't feel comfortable in dentist offices, I am not interested in any of the procedures, I don't have a fascination with teeth or oral medicine, and I would never be happy going to that office in the morning.

It just doesn't feel right to me... the same way that being in international business doesn't feel right to me.

I guess there should be a more lucid answer but I want this to be as neutral of a statement -- well at the same time still being helpful -- as possible.

Members don't see this ad :)

You ever talk to someone with bad breath? I don't know, but I couldn't stand holding their mouth open for an hour without slamming a mint in it. That, in itself, would keep me away from dentistry. Plus, I have had LOTS of cavities and couldn't bring myself to drilling the crap out of someone.

You ever talk to someone with bad breath? I don't know, but I couldn't stand holding their mouth open for an hour without slamming a mint in it. That, in itself, would keep me away from dentistry. Plus, I have had LOTS of cavities and couldn't bring myself to drilling the crap out of someone.

you ever talk to anyone with a raging case of diarrhea.....

I hear a lot of business talk in the dentistry world. That is awesome and they make great money after their 4 years in dental school. If you are getting into any of this for money (not implying anything here) then dentistry seems like the best and shortest route between the two. However, if you are unsure of which you like, you should shadow them and make sure which fits you best. This is what you'll spend most of your next 30+ years doing (more than the time you spend with your spouse if you don't count sleeping) so you better make sure before you get into it. Just like one of the posters above said, there are a list of pros and cons but you gotta shadow and make sure you won't be miserable. My relative is a dentist who got into it for money and he REALLY HATES HIS JOB. I've also met physicians who try so hard to steer me away from medicine. But that's what I want to do for the next 30+ years.

GI Bleeds tromps diarrhea.

I'm not interested in teeth.

Hahah, never thought of it that way. I did change a lot of old people diapers in my day and, yes, sometimes they were talking to me as they shat in my hand. I did know a kid though, who had breath so bad I swore something had crawled into his mouth and died. I think I would rather smell ass all day long then to have to even get near this kid enough for him to open his mouth. It took the paint right off the walls and he had a gf...oh she was one lucky lady. :scared:

I do agree with the $ issue. If you want to make more money quickly, be a dentist. Having said that, medicine gives you options, options, options. You can do so many things. But everyone is right that you have to shadow/get a feel for both and see what fits you best. Good luck and you'll figure it out soon enough!:thumbup: :thumbup: