Medicine vs Dentistry (What's your opinion?)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kaizendj

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
"If you could change careers with a snap of a finger, would you keep your career for another 10 years or switch out?" I heard that a survey showed 9 out of the 10 physicians, but only 1 out of the 10 dentists, would switch.

I am a pre-med student who has always been open-minded to careers that would make me the happiest. There is probably not a very strong basis for the claim that the above survey has made, but I have taken a deeper look into dentistry nonetheless. After talking to friends, reading reviews, and shadowing dentists, I have come to the conclusion that there are more things I like about the field than things I do not. USNews.com Money and Business department sums up my feelings pretty nicely:

"Dentistry is one of the best paying. And except for the rare emergency, you'll have regular hours–unlike doctors, who often work 60 hours a week or more, including weekends. Dentistry blends art, science, and people skills, a satisfying combination for many career seekers. Another plus: You can live virtually anywhere you want: Dentists are needed in urban, suburban, and rural areas...Of course, you have to feel OK about groping around in people's mouths all day." Plus, they use a bunch of neat tools :)

While medicine is similar, I have the conception that it deals a lot more with overall health, well-being, and nutrition (instead of "groping around in people's mouths all day") which is what primarily draws me to the field of medicine. I know there are diverse fields in dentistry, but do any of you feel "stuck" working in the mouth?

At this point in my life, though, I believe my strongest passion is living a fulfilling life, which for me, means living a life outside of my primary career. There are too many things that I would regret missing out on in life if I have no time to commit to them. Time for class. Let me know what you all think. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

pretty foolish to me considering there is a thread with the exact same title on the very same page.

check 6 threads down.