Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdfirst

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, in your opinions, which surgical specialty involves the most medicine (other than transplants)? I was thinking maybe ENT or GU maybe?

Members don't see this ad.

Critical Care/Trauma. Most of it is medicine. Just very quick and agressive medicine. Most things general surgery depend more on medicine than other surgical specialties, I think.

I agree; critical care/acute care surgery is as much medicine as it is surgery.

Members don't see this ad :)
Was wondering what surgical specialty has the largest medical component (in addition to surgery, meaning it rules out surgical critical care)?

Transplant? Oncological? ENT? Uro/Gyn? Neuro?

As an aside, this question is just out of curiosity... thanks.

Cardiac surgery involves knowing alot of medicine as well as truly understanding complex physiology & hemodynamics- especially if it involves a congenital problem.

I think surg critical care/trauma involves alot of medicine too, but a different kind- shock, sepsis etc...

Was wondering what surgical specialty has the largest medical component (in addition to surgery, meaning it rules out surgical critical care)?

Transplant? Oncological? ENT? Uro/Gyn? Neuro?

As an aside, this question is just out of curiosity... thanks.
Transplant or Trauma

David Carpenter, PA-C

Agree with the above...trauma, transplant, ENT and Uro have a fair bit of medicine.

And with that I am merging the two nearly identical threads on this topic posted in the last two days...

I used to think uro had a fair amount of medicine but it doesn't, really. It basically comes down to:

BPH = alpha-blocker +/- 5-alpha-reductase inhibitor
OAB = anti-cholinergic
prostatitis = long course of cipro (and a huge pain if it's chronic)

...etc... not exactly the most exciting medicine.

I agree that trauma and transplant have a lot of medicine. So, I guess if you do kidney transplants, as a urologist you MIGHT deal with some more medicine, but at my institution uro does the surgery and nephro does the immunosuppression and routine transplant followup.

if you want medicine, do medicine. if you want to operate, do surgery.

the whole "ent or uro or ophtho has a good mix of medicine and surgery" is garbage. what that really means is that you can have more of an office practice so your lifestyle will be more controllable. you can do lots of smaller procedures, see patients in clinic 3 days a week, and maybe a big case once or twice a month.

the myth that surgeons don't know medicine is just not true. there is a ton of medical management in general surgery training. most of the time, i ask for medicine consults because i don't WANT to deal with something rather than because i CAN'T deal with it. most of the time, the medicine resident looks in that pocket medicine book they tote around or uptodate anyway.

it's the same reason why medicine asks us to I&D abscesses or put in lines or stupid little things that they could totally do themselves. they're too busy writing long notes, calling consults for each failing organ system, and figuring out which SNF to send their patients to.

Asking which surgical field has the most medicine is like asking which soyburger tastes the most like meat.

if you want medicine, do medicine. if you want to operate, do surgery.

the whole "ent or uro or ophtho has a good mix of medicine and surgery" is garbage. what that really means is that you can have more of an office practice so your lifestyle will be more controllable. you can do lots of smaller procedures, see patients in clinic 3 days a week, and maybe a big case once or twice a month.

the myth that surgeons don't know medicine is just not true. there is a ton of medical management in general surgery training. most of the time, i ask for medicine consults because i don't WANT to deal with something rather than because i CAN'T deal with it. most of the time, the medicine resident looks in that pocket medicine book they tote around or uptodate anyway.

it's the same reason why medicine asks us to I&D abscesses or put in lines or stupid little things that they could totally do themselves. they're too busy writing long notes, calling consults for each failing organ system, and figuring out which SNF to send their patients to.

Wow you sure have the book down on Internal Medicine :rolleyes:

And the correct ancer for the OP is ortho.

I would have to disagree with the previous post. I think Ortho has the least medicine than anyother specialty besides rads im assuming.

I sensed some sarcasim

I would have to disagree with the previous post. I think Ortho has the least medicine than anyother specialty besides rads im assuming.

Since the person who posted that is (or already is) trying to get into Ortho, I would take the post with sarcasm/grain of salt. Ortho could have lots of medicine but they choose to consult almost all of it out.