Medico Cirujano (Physician-Surgeon) Diploma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdtrauma

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I see that no one has posted anything about the program at UAG. I was wondering if anyone had some info on this, I know that there isn't any mention of an MD being awarded at the end of the curriculum. Instead, a Medico Cirujano (Physician-Surgeon) Diploma is received. How does that transfer into the US with many residencies requiring completion of the MD curriculum??? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,
that is the reason why the 5th Pathway Program exists. It is a bridge between finishing the 4 years of medical school in Guadalajara and starting residency in the US. Otherwise, you can complete a year of internado (internship) and then a year of servicio social (social service) to receive your MD degree. Even through the 5th Pathway program, you really do not get an MD degree, but you are able to practice in the US (or elsewhere) as long as you pass the licensing exams, etc. Some people really want the MD degree so complete the extra years to get it.
Maybe, there is someone else out there who has a more detailed explanation than I gave.

mdtrauma,

No one has what?! And I thought I was well known (a legend in my own mind?) :D

I have posted a zillion replies on UAG, 5th Pathway, the various ways to get a degree, learning medical Spanish, etc. here. Do a search for 5th Pathway, 5PW, UAG, and you should find a lot of info. I also just answered what I think is your post on the UAG Unofficial Forum. If you have any specific questions after you do your search, post them here. If you don't feel like searching, PM me or e-mail me at [email protected] with your questions so as not to annoy all these fine folks at SDN!