Mediocre Stats: Judge me

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GoBlueJays

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings. I am GoBlueJays but I am not Canadian but do like curling. Here is the situation; let the judging begin.

I have a masters degree (non-thesis) in a biological science: sGPA 3.9

I have a year of post-bacc work all in science: sGPA 3.47

I have a BA: sGPA 2.57

AADSAS sGPA: 3.05
AADSAS cum GPA: 3.11

DAT: AA 19 TS 20 PAT 17

120+ hrs as a dental assistant and a decent track record for manual dexterity. Illinois resident. My application was submitted in early June. What do you all think? I give particular weight to those on admissions committees (HA). I am a white male. Also, I am a phenomenal dancer as my signature accurately states and my 1RM on bench press is 305 lbs.

Anxiously awaiting your replies.
GBJ

Members don't see this ad.

Greetings. I am GoBlueJays but I am not Canadian but do like curling. Here is the situation; let the judging begin.

120+ hrs as a dental assistant and a decent track record for manual dexterity. Illinois resident. My application was submitted in early June. What do you all think? I give particular weight to those on admissions committees (HA). I am a white male. Also, I am a phenomenal dancer as my signature accurately states and my 1RM on bench press is 305 lbs.

GBJ

Sadly those instruments only weight about 2 ounces each, so a max 1 rep bench press of 305 won't do you much good in impressing the admission committee. I'd say you're an average applican't, right down the middle. Below average gpa, excellent masters gpa, but average dat.

Well, if you were shooting for the next "The Bachelor" season or "Dancing with the Stars", I'd say hellz ya.

Dental School?? Don't think so.......:smuggrin:

J/K Give it a shot, you will prob get in somewhere.

The Dizz

Members don't see this ad :)
Much appreciated PDizz :smuggrin:. I am glad you picked up on my sarcasm.

I figure if I get on dancing with the stars that is a surefire way to dental school acceptance. I really think it would show a commitment to the biological sciences.

Anyone else have some thoughts? Id like to hear from some cats who have gone the master's route as well.

Regards,
Scoobey Doobey Douche aka GoBlueJays

PS Let the record show, I am a pretty terrible dancer but I can bench press 305 lbs. Just so that is clear.

GBJ

Much appreciated PDizz :smuggrin:. I am glad you picked up on my sarcasm.

I figure if I get on dancing with the stars that is a surefire way to dental school acceptance. I really think it would show a commitment to the biological sciences.

Anyone else have some thoughts? Id like to hear from some cats who have gone the master's route as well.

Regards,
Scoobey Doobey Douche aka GoBlueJays

PS Let the record show, I am a pretty terrible dancer but I can bench press 305 lbs. Just so that is clear.

GBJ

I'd say that you stand a better chance with improving your bench press! errr, your gpa! :D
I did a masters program for a couple of years before getting accepted to dental school.

Good Luck :luck:

hey bluejay

I'll give it a judge. Your low undergrad gpa is your Achilles Heel. We all have one (well, most of us normal folk do, like you and me). It is a great plus that your post bacc and masters gpa are high, but you really need 21+ on all sections of the DAT to make up for the low undergrad gpa. Although I keep saying your undergrad gpa is low, I'd also say, give it a shot, cuz u never really know AND all you need is your foot in the door AKA once you an interview, you just need to blow them away.

Here's my story. My undergrad gpa is 3.51 overall, 3.42 science. I have an MPH in Epidemiology (the thesis variety) with a 4.0, and an Masters of Arts in Biochemistry (the thesis variety again and two publications) with a gpa of 3.0. My DAT scores were 19 overall, 19 science, and 14 PAT. I applied during the 2008 cycle to the 3 texas schools, interviewed at 2, and got waitlisted at Houston. I am currently reapplying.

I know my PAT is keeping me out so I am retaking. I'd suggest the same BUT go ahead and apply with what ya got cuz like what a previous poster said, you're application is average and that MIGHT be good enough to land you an interview or two. But to be on the safe side and if you're okay with waiting another cycle, I'd try to dominate the DAT with 21+, I know it sucks having to think about re-taking, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do. Hope this helps.

GBJ
that was sooo out of left field i had to reread the paragraph like three times looking for something that i had missed.

why not retake the dat? you don't have anything to do...

I'd say you have a pretty decent shot...
I think you will at least get a few interviews... and you seem to have a good sense of humor, which can only help in interviews. Admissions people remember interesting people.

I like the insight so far. Did Ron Jeremy go the masters route? Keep the assessments coming; I am tuned in.

Pittsnogle, you demonstrate uncanny attention to detail, have you ever considered dentistry as a career?

I do wonder, however, how you know that "You dont have anything to do." It generally takes weeks for someone to find out that I don't do anything all day. Although I agree with the thrust of your statement (retaking the DAT), perhaps we shouldnt speculate on eachother's daily activities. Deal? Hell, just fielding the phone calls from attractive young women and dental school Deans of admission, I barely have time to work on my bench.

Jigabodo, dont feel bad. Being able to bench 305 doesnt mean much....well except that I am stronger than you and hence, better than you.:laugh:

Finally, I dont want my sarcasm to cloud the fact that I am indeed dedicated to the field of dentistry and have had many a sleepless night waiting for this application cycle to begin. I know my writing can make me appear cavalier, but I'm not; except for the one time I attempted to wrestle a bull moose in the White Mountains of New Hampshire; that was probably cavalier.

Regards,
Duck Duck Douche aka GoBlueJays