Medscape 2012 Ophthalmology Compensation Report

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Eyesore

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
http://www.medscape.com/features/slideshow/compensation/2012/ophthalmology

Does this seem accurate to you guys/ gals?

On slide 2, it said mean income is $270k for 2011. It said 11% made more than $500k, but on the chart, it only shows 4%. So which is correct?

It also shows that 46% make less than $200k, and about 21% make $100k or less. 21% less than $100k? I find that hard to believe. What do you all think?

How do you think theses numbers compare with MGMA 2011 report data? The MGMA does break it down to cornea, retina, etc. Which one do you think is more accurate? All I can say is that the MGMA data looks more appealing, but whether it is more accurate, I have no idea.

Bottom line is that it doesn't really matter what these surveys show, especially if they are inaccurate, but it doesn't hurt to discuss some of these so called taboo issues.

Members don't see this ad.

http://www.medscape.com/features/slideshow/compensation/2012/ophthalmology

Does this seem accurate to you guys/ gals?

On slide 2, it said mean income is $270k for 2011. It said 11% made more than $500k, but on the chart, it only shows 4%. So which is correct?

It also shows that 46% make less than $200k, and about 21% make $100k or less. 21% less than $100k? I find that hard to believe. What do you all think?

How do you think theses numbers compare with MGMA 2011 report data? The MGMA does break it down to cornea, retina, etc. Which one do you think is more accurate? All I can say is that the MGMA data looks more appealing, but whether it is more accurate, I have no idea.

Bottom line is that it doesn't really matter what these surveys show, especially if they are inaccurate, but it doesn't hurt to discuss some of these so called taboo issues.

I can't access that slideshow (I don't have a MedScape login), but here are my 2 cents:

1) Mean income sounds about right...if it's base salary.

2) I would estimate that about 5-10% of Ophthalmologists make >500K across the boards

3) I could believe that ~15% make less than 100k...especially if they are working part-time (e.g. has a doctor-spouse making better money and he/she wants to spend more time with kids) and/or work in competitive areas like S.F. or L.A.

4) Most Ophthalmologists are very smart and hard-working people. But that doesn't necessarily equate to patients actually wanting to see you. You could have gone to the best residency/fellowship programs and 1st authored 50 papers...but if you are a terrible surgeon or patients (or more importantly the referring PCPs and optomerists) don't like you... guess what? You won't be building a lucrative practice anytime soon.

This has been mentioned in a number of threads before. Surveys are strongly affected by biases. The results will depend on who is polled, as well as who responds. Fact is that you can do very well as an ophthalmologist or you can do not so well. Depends greatly on where you practice, how you practice (not just subspecialty vs comprehensive), and what kind of person you are. Don't get hung up on these surveys.