Medscape Physician Compensation Report 2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Carbocation1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Medscape Physician Compensation Report 2018

fig4.png

fig5.png

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This is total BS.

I can’t comprehend how an ED doc feels well compensated. You’d have to have me pushing $600/hr to tolerate that crazy train.

This is total BS.

I can’t comprehend how an ED doc feels well compensated. You’d have to have me pushing $600/hr to tolerate that crazy train.

I cant comprehend how they dont. Work like 35 hr a week, make like 300$ a hr... plus the people who go into ED probably enjoy working in the ED. Add it all together and it makes a satisfied ED physician? I still remember how the ED programs advertised their specialty as the only specialty with good money and time to use it as well (thats not derm competitive)

I cant comprehend how they dont. Work like 35 hr a week, make like 300$ a hr... plus the people who go into ED probably enjoy working in the ED. Add it all together and it makes a satisfied ED physician? I still remember how the ED programs advertised their specialty as the only specialty with good money and time to use it as well (thats not derm competitive)

It’s VERY easy to fall into the “grass is greener” trap with EM. But, data shows it consistently has the highest rates of physician burnout. The majority of shifts are afternoon/evenings and nights/weekends when the ED is busiest as opposed to mornings with literally every other specialty - with so much hour swapping, it’s hard to work more than the hours they do.

More: Report reveals severity of burnout by specialty

I moonlight in a medium-sized ER not far from here. The shifts usually have a “sprint” feel for 8-12 hours and are pretty stressful/tiring. I enjoy the gig now, feel fortunate it’s not my career.

Reactions: 1 user
What about plastics, only specialty averaging above half a milllion and only 50% feel fairly compensated?

Reactions: 3 users
It’s VERY easy to fall into the “grass is greener” trap with EM. But, data shows it consistently has the highest rates of physician burnout. The majority of shifts are afternoon/evenings and nights/weekends when the ED is busiest as opposed to mornings with literally every other specialty - with so much hour swapping, it’s hard to work more than the hours they do.

More: Report reveals severity of burnout by specialty

I moonlight in a medium-sized ER not far from here. The shifts usually have a “sprint” feel for 8-12 hours and are pretty stressful/tiring. I enjoy the gig now, feel fortunate it’s not my career.

I agree with you, but i also take those things with a HUGE grain of salt since a change in a few percentage points can plummet you down the rankings so it can easily vary a lot depending on who's answering those surveys. The link you linked showed data from the 2017 medscape survey, fast forward to 2018 survey Medscape: Medscape Access
You can see that across the board every specialty is reporting about a 10% lower burn out rate! EM is now number SIX, right with Radiology!.

Was in the ED recently and heard some patient yelling/screaming in a crazy sorta way. I look at the ED doc and say "man, how do you do it?" He responds by saying "it's a lovely sound", totally relaxed and utterly unphased.... haha

Reactions: 1 users
This is total BS.

The ED is not as bad as people make it sound. Most community based ED is 80% Urgent Care stuff, 15% stable admission, 5% super sick/crazy& violent. I never feel stressed out in those situations, rarely go home feeling I am stressed/worn out. There will always be people who gets stressed/burned out in any situation.

I know I would be if I was delivering babies, doing pelvic exams, dealing with only women all day.

I agree with you, but i also take those things with a HUGE grain of salt since a change in a few percentage points can plummet you down the rankings so it can easily vary a lot depending on who's answering those surveys. The link you linked showed data from the 2017 medscape survey, fast forward to 2018 survey Medscape: Medscape Access
You can see that across the board every specialty is reporting about a 10% lower burn out rate! EM is now number SIX, right with Radiology!.

I have always thought that burnout when comparing across specialties are way overrated. When you look at the burnout data, over half of the fields are within 5% of each other. What kind of statistical relevance/standard deviation is that? Is it even significant when the top and middle groups are only 5% apart? In other words, if EM has 45 out of 100 feeling burned out and infectious disease has 40 out of 100, then does having 5 extra docs really statistically significant. Also, you have to look and ask why the docs are burned out as some are inherent to the field and some are not. In 2018, Family medicine and neurology is top 3? That alone gives my spidey sense think that this study is invalid.

I have done EM for over 17 years and I can say I felt burned out maybe for 6 months just because we were chronically understaffed and doing more hours than I wanted. EM has the benefits of working as much as you want and as little as you want. If you are stressed in EM its most likely that you are working too much. If so, work less. I have little sympathy for the EM docs that work 17 - 20 shifts a month and complain that they are stressed out. I bet most docs working 12 shifts a month do not feel that they are stressed out.

Also, EM has many more options than 10 yrs ago.

I work about 40 a week but 20 is in a freestanding ER where I see 7-10 pts in 24 hrs and getting a full night sleep. The other 20 I work in a busy ER to keep my skills. I can go more FSER if I feel burnt out. I do locums so I get to choose when I work and which hospital to work at. In 2017 with this set up, I made over between 5-600K and worked about 20 weekend shifts. I had new years, July 4th, Easter weekend, 5 dys over Thanksgiving, and 7 day over Christmas off to be with the Kids. I schedule around my kids activities and in the Summer taking 1 wk in June to travel for a wedding, 7 dys off during July 4th, 20 days off in July/Aug for a family Trip. I don't have to ask anyone for permission to take off, I don't need to block days off, I am not beholden to any hospital Admin/CMG, don't go to any Hospital meetings.

My Point is EM is not as bad as people make it. There are options out there if you feel burnt out. Don't sit in your EM job feeling stressed, dont do anything about it, and complain that you are burnt out.

Reactions: 4 users
I have always thought that burnout when comparing across specialties are way overrated. When you look at the burnout data, over half of the fields are within 5% of each other. What kind of statistical relevance/standard deviation is that? Is it even significant when the top and middle groups are only 5% apart? In other words, if EM has 45 out of 100 feeling burned out and infectious disease has 40 out of 100, then does having 5 extra docs really statistically significant. Also, you have to look and ask why the docs are burned out as some are inherent to the field and some are not. In 2018, Family medicine and neurology is top 3? That alone gives my spidey sense think that this study is invalid.

I have done EM for over 17 years and I can say I felt burned out maybe for 6 months just because we were chronically understaffed and doing more hours than I wanted. EM has the benefits of working as much as you want and as little as you want. If you are stressed in EM its most likely that you are working too much. If so, work less. I have little sympathy for the EM docs that work 17 - 20 shifts a month and complain that they are stressed out. I bet most docs working 12 shifts a month do not feel that they are stressed out.

Also, EM has many more options than 10 yrs ago.

I work about 40 a week but 20 is in a freestanding ER where I see 7-10 pts in 24 hrs and getting a full night sleep. The other 20 I work in a busy ER to keep my skills. I can go more FSER if I feel burnt out. I do locums so I get to choose when I work and which hospital to work at. In 2017 with this set up, I made over between 5-600K and worked about 20 weekend shifts. I had new years, July 4th, Easter weekend, 5 dys over Thanksgiving, and 7 day over Christmas off to be with the Kids. I schedule around my kids activities and in the Summer taking 1 wk in June to travel for a wedding, 7 dys off during July 4th, 20 days off in July/Aug for a family Trip. I don't have to ask anyone for permission to take off, I don't need to block days off, I am not beholden to any hospital Admin/CMG, don't go to any Hospital meetings.

My Point is EM is not as bad as people make it. There are options out there if you feel burnt out. Don't sit in your EM job feeling stressed, dont do anything about it, and complain that you are burnt out.

7-10 patients in 24 hours . wow.